Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after I bough my Xterra, The rear cargo floor was damaged by someone loading a crate into it. The crate had a nail sticking out of the bottom that ripped a 6" tear in the vinyl that covers the otherwise plastic cargo bin cover.

I ignored it but pondered what to do. I decided that rather than replacing it, I would Line-X it.

So here's what I did (sorry no pictures of the process):

1. Remove the handle from the cover (4 screws)
2. Remove the rub rails from the cover (drill out the plastic "welds" then unsnap the rails)
3. Remove the 3 perimeter reinforcing stiffeners (unscrew form the underside of the cover)
4. Slide out the internal reinforcing stiffeners
5. Peel the vinyl cover off the plastic
6. Remove the adhesive left on the cover (I used Goo Gone)
7. Reinstall all 5 reinforcing rails

If you are having trouble following me, grab the rear cover out of your X and look at it as you read along.

So this leaves you with a bare piece of plastic, suitable for Line-Xing.

Now you have two options here. You can reattach and glue down the four rub rails and have them Line-X'd over or you can leave the rub rails off and have the Line-X dealer tape over the holes in the cover where the rails were and Line-X the cover without the rails. I chose to go without the rails.

I took the bare plastic cover and the handle to the Line-X dealer and told him to do the best he could to match the color of rear of the truck. I left him a sample of the vinyl cover and a rub rail as samples.

Here is the end result:

The flash makes the Line-X look much lighter than it actually is, but it is somewhat lighter in color than the surrounding floor. Its about the shade of the lighter seat fabric. It would have been nice to get an exact match, but without a paint color code as you would find for an exterior paint color, these guys can't color match.

How it works:

It is more non slip than the OEM vinyl, but it is not completely non slip. Heavier items slip less but light items still tend to slide around. It will not scratch or rip.

What I would have done differently:

After Line-xing, you could see indents from the larger holes left by the rub rails. I discussed these holes with the dealer before hand and he assured me you wouldn't see them, but you could. I would have filled them with a plastic or wood scrap before he taped over them. As it is, I was able to fill the holes after the fact from underneath, making them almost invisible.

I would have attempted to get him the paint color code that most closely matched the interior. The Night Armor color might be a good match or possibly the color of the rear bumper paint. The rear bumper paint is a better choice as it is semi-flat. The paint match is achieved by the dealer painting over the Line-X with the OEM paint. Evidently paint will bond to the Line-X and not scratch off. He even suggested that if I can find the exact color, I can paint it myself.

But those are minor points. I'm actually pleased with how it came out.

-Old Army

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Looks good. I would now pull out the other rear plastic and have it done. Mine is more scratched up than the floor cover it's self. :)

Just curious, what did they charge you?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That's a bit steep, but if that is the minimum, then maybe doing all the plastic wouldn't be all that much more. i'll have to keep this in mind. I won't be doing it for quite some time I am sure.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i think i might do this. i have a 5" gash in mine that has caused the vinyl cover to pull up.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Well I will be doing this... Mine is so tore up back there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts