Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about doing a lincoln locker in the front of my dakota as a temporary thing until I ditch the IFS and SAS it. Ive had a lincoln locker in the back of my old cherokee and never had a problem but Ive never had or seen one in a front dif.

I know in 4 wheel I wont be able to turn very well but Im prepared to deal with that. My question is, will this have a major affect on my turning when Im not in 4 wheel drive?

Also, If I remember correctly you just weld the 4 spider gears together where they meet right?

·
on line
358 Posts
It will be hard to turn, both in 4wd and 2wd. They will bind, slip, chirp, buck. I think if you were doing straight mud runs it would be fine. I would never try to drive it on the road, deffinitly not a DD. If it is only a trail truck it may be alright but you will be fighting it on hard surface trails. Is the rear locked? If it is a trail only truck I would start there.

Yes, you weld everything that moves. The more welded surfaces the better.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You do not want to weld a front diff. Most likely it wouldn't be able to handle the stress and it would be near impossible to turn on anything other than a loose surface. If it's a street driven vehicle, forget it.

As for 4wd vs 2wd. If it has manual hubs you would have no problems in 2wd as the diff wouldn't be turning.

As for how you do it, yes, you pull the diff apart, clean it up really good, weld each of the spider gears together, then fill the entire carrier in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts