Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had some differential work done, however whenever I went to drive it to check the diff work, the ABS VDC OFF and SLIP lights came on on the dash. I was only able to move 1-2 mph. I did some reading and was told Im in limp mode. I tried disconnecting the battery, I filled up brake fluid, and I cleaned the ABS sensors. It's not throwing any codes as well. Any Idea on how to get out of limp mode?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Can you be more specific about the diff work and what was done? The lights on the dash don't really concern me because those systems don't need to be active to drive the truck normally. Nissan even says you can even unplug the entire harness (near the brake booster) for diagnostic work and start it up and drive it. Is it revving normally?

This thread might help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spider gears stripped, I took the old ring gear off and put it on a new gear housing and with new spider gears. It will rev but no matter what gear it is in it won't go faster than 1-2 mph. It will rev normally.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Did you disconnect any of the electrical before/during the work? It sounds more like a tranny issue but that would be the first thing to check I think. If you have a code scanner you can check for any pending codes that might be showing up on it too. Is yours an auto? When you shift from P to D do you feel/hear that clunk of the driveshaft being engaged?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The spider gears stripped, I took the old ring gear off and put it on a new gear housing and with new spider gears. It will rev but no matter what gear it is in it won't go faster than 1-2 mph. It will rev normally.
I don't think you are in limp mode

Who did the gear swap? Did you? Have you done a gear install before?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorta for the battery being disconnected. It sat for about 3 weeks before being worked on with the inside lights on so there was no power left in it during the work. No codes have come up and no codes are pending. Yes, it is an automatic trans. I don't hear the driveshaft engage, however, I can still roll forwards? The more I think about it, the more confused I become.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wait, did you replace the ring gear because the new differential was a different gear ratio, and NOT replace the pinion gear?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wait, did you replace the ring gear because the new differential was a different gear ratio, and NOT replace the pinion gear?
I took the ring gear off the old diff and put it on the new diff so that they stay together. (they being the ring and pinion gear)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the gear swap. Every place I called to do it quoted me at roughly 4-5K. (My X is probably worth only 2K LOL) I torqued the ring gear and every bolt to spec.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That’s not how gears are installed. Bring it to a shop that does gears and DONT drive it. I do everything on my cars except three things- gears, transmissions and ac. There is a reason. It’s an art of sorts; if you want to learn, go ahead, but understand you have a good chance of blowing up your first gear swap

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna have a mechanic check over the work I did, I took it to a shop to have them flash the ECU. I'll update it tomorrow about if flashing it fixes it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I had some differential work done, however whenever I went to drive it to check the diff work, the ABS VDC OFF and SLIP lights came on on the dash. I was only able to move 1-2 mph. I did some reading and was told Im in limp mode. I tried disconnecting the battery, I filled up brake fluid, and I cleaned the ABS sensors. It's not throwing any codes as well. Any Idea on how to get out of limp mode?
The mechanic called, it was stuck in limp mode. They've flashed the ECU and it'll be good to go. They looked at the diff and said everything looks good as well. (as a plus flashing the ECU turned off the airbag light I'd accidentally turned on) Thank yall for the help :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Glad it worked out for you

I would strongly suggest you change diff fluid a couple times in the next 1000 miles, and check for excessive metal shavings
I think your gears are going to have a break in, and without really installing them, just swapping them in, you could have issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts