Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of threads on limp mode, tras, etc etc etc. But i cant for the life of me fine something to coorosponds to my issue.
My X (2006 offroad) showes no signs of cross contamination, thank God. Howerver, I am having a major issue with the vehicle going into limp mode often. It has been in the Nissan dealership 3 times for this now. They replaced the valve body at least once, they say they have done it every time, but i see no difference.
The vehicle will go into limp mode, not climbing cliffs, or dredging through creeks, but just driving along normally. When this happens, the SES light comes on, the 4wheel engage light comes on and the 4wheel display goes blank like others have stated. i can shut the vehicle down and wait and everything returns to normal, for a while. But it will do it again, and has.
The dealer has no idea what is going on, clearly. The vehicle has 130k on it and i love it, but this is getting to be a little too much.
Has anyone seen or had this same issue with a resolution? I am this close to leaving nissan forever. Please help

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you can get the code that pops up when it goes into limp mode, it will be easier to diagnose. Check to see if there is any contamination in your transmission fluid. SMOD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the last time it happened I stopped by autozone and pulled the code. U1000. But my local Nissan dealership had no idea what that ment. i know right??

There is no contamination at all.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
IPDM relay issues? Can cause quite a few random issues. Looks like this guys IPDM cause similar to what you have:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29510

If you are lucky could just be the relay. It can be hard to diagnose, but a Nissan dealership worth its salt should be able to figure it out. There is a service bulletin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the assistance guys. Push has come to shove with this problem and without a mechanic who is willing or worth it to fix it. I will, as of Saturday, jettison this vehicle. It is very bitter sweet. I have loved that vehicle for a long time, but without the proper backing by Nissan and the dealership, it is not worth keeping any longer. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth with Nissan. Maybe in the future that will subside, but right now, I am not looking back.

Good luck to all with their Xs

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
the last time it happened I stopped by autozone and pulled the code. U1000. But my local Nissan dealership had no idea what that ment. i know right??

There is no contamination at all.
U1000 is a beeyotch to diagnose. I know 3 guys that are in different trucks now because Nissan couldn't figure out what was causing their issues. 3 different dealers, too.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Transmission temp was my issue. Limp mode hits around 250 degrees fahrenheit. Buy a cheap, wireless, OBDII scanner like the one linked below and pull the temps when it goes into limp mode.

http://www.amazon.com/Xseries-Auto-Wireless-Scanner-Diagnostics/dp/B00HVV60HI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441310348&sr=8-5&keywords=obd2+wireless
I had limp mode issue up in Ouray back in July. I'm bypassed but do have an extra trans cooler on top of the original one. Keeping the RPM above 2200 so the torque converter stays locked helps reduce heat build up in that situation.

I'm about to replace my radiator with a Koyo so can hook things back up like stock to get the extra cooling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts