Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my driving lights hooked up to a otrattw switch. How do I wire it so the driving lights go on when the headlights go on but flipping the switch for the driving lights doesn't power on my headlights? For example if I had the car off and wanted to switch on the driving lights without headlights
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm assuming your OTRATTW switch is a SPST and that you're running your driving lights through a fused line. I don't think you'd want to run your driving lights using the power from a tapped line from your headlights because you might be overloading that circuit. You could just add a SPDT relay in between the switch and lights and wire the relay like this:

pin 85: ground
pin 86: headlights signal (+)
pin 30: out to driving lights
pin 87a: OTRATTW switch output
pin 87: fused line

But this also means that you can't turn your driving lights off when your headlights are on. Or you could get a SPDT switch and run that through a relay (wired differently than above) then you would be able to have your driving lights come on with your headlights or control it independently of headlights.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Use the always on cigarette lighter through switch to power the relay. Problem is you can end up with dead battery

I have my driving lights hooked up to a otrattw switch. How do I wire it so the driving lights go on when the headlights go on but flipping the switch for the driving lights doesn't power on my headlights? For example if I had the car off and wanted to switch on the driving lights without headlights
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts