Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Light Wheeling Routes in Virginia?

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  TerryD 
#1 ·
I am in Richmond.

Looking for some light wheeling route in Virginia.

Not interested in Rock crawling or even routes that have a high risk of scratches :D

But just interesting enough for me to learn about how to handle my X in terrain.

Any tips?

#2 ·
It's gonna be difficult to find anything that fits that in Virginia. Anything more challenging than the gravel Forest Service roads are usually tight.

Big Levels scratched up my Xterra quite a bit but the wheeling is rather mild. Flag Pole is more open and I don't remember a bunch of scratching, but it's tougher as far as crawling. Most of the skids on my factory height X got at least one good lick.

If you travel further west, I have several forest roads mapped that are basically just roads but are pretty views and nice rides. Some have rough spots but nothing that requires 4wd to go through.

What kind of experience do you have already?

#3 · (Edited)
What kind of experience do you have already?
None, other than being a seasoned winter driver (lived in MN for years) and former sports car speed demon.

Did do some winter wheeling multi hour trip in the middle of the storm .. 3 yrs ago during the big east coast snow storm.

I really just want to gain experience so I get a better sense of the capabilities and limitations of this platform.. so in an emergency I know whether I can take a certain bank off a hiway or not, what inclines I can get up etc.

Attachments

Reactions: TerryD
#4 ·
I've been very pleased with how capable my stock X is. I come from a more hard core off-roading style but I wanted the better road manners of the IFS vs the solid front axle of the Jeeps.

Check out the Virginia Xterra Club on Facebook. There's a bunch of guys on there around Richmond. They can help with things to do around you.

If you feel like venturing farther instate, I'd be glad to get you out and stretch it's legs a bit. There is a pretty mild trail above my house that's a neat ride up on the mountain. I'm wanting to do some hammock camping up there some this summer. Just give me a shout!

#5 ·
Thanks!!
I just may do that!! : )
I am divorced and have plenty of time on weekends.

My hobby is teaching proper employment of AR15 to my non military Buds.. if you would like me to return any favors :D
(details via PM if desired).

Reactions: TerryD
#16 ·
That's ironically the one weekend in June that doesn't work for me. lol. I have my last Reserves that Saturday morning. Hope it can work out for everyone else though..
I have business in the morning and a 2 hour drive. So the earliest I could be there would be around 1 pm and that is cutting it close.

Do you guys prefer to meet up in the morning or in the evening? I don't mind some night driving.

Red

#14 ·
That's ironically the one weekend in June that doesn't work for me. lol. I have my last Reserves that Saturday morning. Hope it can work out for everyone else though..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.