Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed that there is a light clunk coming from my rear differential. When I rotate the drive shaft by hand (when in neutral) everything moves like it should, so I don't think it is a U-Joint. Also when turning the shaft by hand I cannot make the clunk and it doesn't feel sloppy, I can rotate the DS about 1 or 2 degrees but its snug. When I shift from Reverse to Drive (or vice versa) I get a light clunk from the diff area, it's best described as it sounding like someone tapping on my back window with one knuckle. Automatic BTW. The X shifts and drives fine.

Here's some other stuff that might be worth mentioning:
- Once in a great while (only happened maybe 4 times in 2 years) when driving, if i let off the gas and the engine brakes and then I give it gas again I'll get a clunk (like a bad gear mesh with too much slop) but will go away once it's been off for a little.

- About a few months ago I noticed that I get a vibration at about 40 to 45mph, kinda felt like a tire off-balance. It has disappeared for a little and occasionally reappears, which makes be believe it is simply rocks getting stuck in my tires.

This something to worry about or is it normal? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I don't know about the vibration...vibrations usually aren't normal.

Everything else is completely normal for these trucks though. You will get a little driveline slop shifting from R to D and the slack while driving has been common as well. I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Mine has been doing that since brand new. Not so much from reverse to drive but under light throttle then let off.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I figured it would have a little slack, I probably only just noticed it now or something. As for the vibration, it's a dull low frequency vibration and you sorta have to think about it to feel it. It almost feels like a going over washboard that's spaced far apart. I think I'm paranoid LOL. Good to hear others experience the same thing.

The reason I was concerned is because I didn't want to destroy a ring gear or something off road.

As for the vibration, I'm due to rotate my tires when I'm not so lazy. These tires, when new, didn't have any vibes and developed after about (guessing) 3000 miles? I have about 5500 on them now. We'll see after I rotate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
what kind of tires are you running? and do you guys know what is causing the 'slack' when you lift off and apply light throttle? I've known it is normal but it still bothers me to no end, so if there is a fix for it that doesn't involve a tranny rebuild or something like that I would love to get it done.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac Load E Tires. The slack appears to be in the differential and by that I mean it would be the ring and pinion lash (or gear mesh). It could just be a cumulative amount of slop, e.g. a little in the ring and pinion, a little in the spider gears, etc. and that adds up to something relatively noticeable. That's what I think, considering others apparently have the same "issue".

·
Registered
248 Posts
thanks for the info about that slop issue i will do some extra research too! about the vibrations, E load tires are notorious for getting super clunky on the road when it is cold out... maybe when you got them it was summer and now that it is cold out the tires are getting harder and making some vibs on the road?

·
Registered
248 Posts
OOOOOOH Bosco! That actually fits perfectly now that I think about it, I did get them at the beginning of fall last year and I noticed it when it got really cold out. Hmmmm. I'll have to see when it gets warmer. Thanks for that!
No problem I hope it is that and not something else that will take months to chase down lol

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've got the same things happening in my X. Every morning, when shifting out of park and into reverse, the driveline clunks. The noise I hear is as if someone smacked the rear drive shaft with a lead hammer. I know it's from the driveline being under a load when in park - where I park has a slight incline, so the trans is holding the X from moving and the driveline is being twisted slightly. When I shift out of park, the trans releases and the driveline clanks a bit. I can remedy this by using the parking brake instead of making the trans hold the X in place in park.

The vibration is as you described, but I noticed it on the freeway recently. It's super light - almost as if the drive shaft was ever so slightly out of balance. I had that on another vehicle and it's pretty easy to diagnose.

The way I look at it, every vehicle makes distinct noises and has certain vibrations. It's obvious when they're "bad" noises... These ones don't bother me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The vibration is as you described, but I noticed it on the freeway recently. It's super light - almost as if the drive shaft was ever so slightly out of balance. I had that on another vehicle and it's pretty easy to diagnose.
Yeah thats what I thought it could be, but I'll wait till it warms up out and see if it's the tires, which I think it is.

Also rocknhd, what you seem to be describing is a bit different than what I'm experiencing. What you seem to hear is what I believe to be called "Torque Lock", when the park "tang" in your transmission holds the load of the vehicle and makes it difficult to shift out of park when on a hill.

I guess I'm noticing more noises as time goes on, after you start modifying suspension like so many of us do, the X just starts turning into a total rattletrap. I don't mind clunks too too much, but SQUEEKS I can't stand!

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah pretty much Glamisdude. What I did to find this noise was two things:

1) with the truck in park and not running I crawled under and put my head under the center of the drive shaft (one ear pointing to the diff and the other to the tranny) then i grabbed something sturdy and rolled the truck back and forth to listen for the clunk.

2nd Test I had the e-brake on and the truck in neutral (so the only thing holding the DS was the rear diff) and I couldn't twist the shaft by hand hard enough or fast enough to make the clunk.

So like I said before, I think it is the sum of all the tolerances in the gears. Also, it apparently seems to be normal, or at least common without posing a serious threat so far.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Mine makes this same noise. I thought I had ruined a U joint rocking back and forth to self extract from snow or sticky mud up in Alaska but apparently I just didn't notice it before because my driveshaft has no play in it whatsoever.

Likely just thought it was new because I was in Afghanistan for a year and inherited the X from my wife when I got back. Immediately lifted it and proceeded to thrash it.

Likely just paranoia.

My Goodyear MTRs started smooth too and after about 3k they started rumbling like mud tires do.

Duratracs were popular in Alaska and every truck I rode in that had them would make the change in the cup holder jingle. It will be hard to diagnose any vibration using those tires.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm currently running Hankook Dynapro ATM tires and will be switching to the same brand MT when these wear out. I obviously havn't had a long term experience with them yet but I've ridden in a jeep that had been running with the Hankook Dynapro MT for around 5k miles and it felt pretty darn smooth compared to other MT tires that i've experienced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts