Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about doing a lift in order to make room for some bigger wheels/tires. I am a neophyte when it comes to suspension/body lifts, but have been doing a lot of reading as of late.

My only question thus far is that I have a set of Hefty Sliders. They don't have the option for the 2" body lift. So if I put a lift on the truck, and don't have the right sliders, what are the consequences, and will they still mount properly?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Check out the build thread of Mudlover55. He has non body lifted hefty sliders with a 2" body lift, strangely it doesn't look that bad.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Just a matter of the gap. You won't lose functionality, since the height of your frame doesn't change with a BL. Unfortunately you can't really just put an adapter onto the sliders, but if you took them to a local fab shop they can extend the brackets or make new ones to accommodate the lift.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
if you install a body lift on your Xterra, you're raising the body off the frame. since the rock sliders are frame mounted, they stay still. this creates an unnecessarily large gap betwen the slider and rocker panel. like mentioned above, you're not really losing any ground clearance by doing this because the truth is, you didn't gain any with the body lift. the downside of doing this is that the slider won't fit tight to the body anymore like it should. it's a little more expensive but you're much better off installing a small suspension lift instead. on top of the performance gains, you won't have to mess with your rock sliders.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
If you put a body lift on you'll have an ugly gap. If you put a suspension lift on they'll be the same as they are no, no gap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
personal opinion. i have a 2" body lift and NON-body lift shrock sliders and think they work better now. It's a much more functional step than before. you don't lose any more clearance than you already had.

now that being said, get a suspension lift first. more useable lift. body lift is mostly for looks and fitting larger tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. The last set of pictures really helped out. I might actually like the functionality of my sliders as steps. Since it doesn't appear to hurt any of the ground clearance, I might just go with the BL.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yeah its not an "ugly gap" the sliders still look like sliders, but they function much better as steps to access the roof. Ive got a 2" BL and the shrockworks sliders and it looks fine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had non BL shrox sliders and sold them for BL WK sliders when I got my BL. I like the WK sliders better but wish I had got non BL sliders even with the BL. My dogs have almost broke their legs jumping up on them. if I were to do it over: NON BL sliders with a request for less angle so they sat flatter for my dogs. They still work fine for me accessing the roof.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Yep, I posted some non-BL slider pics with my BL on one of these threads. I was going to change them but they look fine and really do work great for a step/roof access.

·
TNX Veteran
4,038 Posts
If you have a body lift and the appropriate sliders, obviously your rocker panels/doors will be better protected.

With a body lift and NON-BL sliders, I assume you are more likely to bump/drag on the frame itself. Is this cause for concern?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
If you have a body lift and the appropriate sliders, obviously your rocker panels/doors will be better protected.

With a body lift and NON-BL sliders, I assume you are more likely to bump/drag on the frame itself. Is this cause for concern?
It creates an ugly gap, and it catches stuff they would clear if you moved them up. Raising them 2" made a big difference on how often I hung up on them on rocks and roots. After my BL, I cut the mounts off my Shrock sliders I welded the mounts black on for 2" difference.

Some comparison pics:

Before BL:

After BL w/ stock height sliders and ugly gap:

After BL and after cutting/welding the sliders up 2" higher:

·
TNX Veteran
4,038 Posts
It creates an ugly gap, and it catches stuff they would clear if you moved them up. Raising them 2" made a big difference on how often I hung up on them on rocks and roots. After my BL, I cut the mounts off my Shrock sliders I welded the mounts black on for 2" difference.
Cool. So irrespective of aesthetic preferences, it sounds like the sliders were holding you back a bit on obstacles where the BL would have otherwise helped you clear more easily.

Is dropping on the frame/denting it (vs. on the slider itself) gonna hurt the truck in the long run? Or is this not something to worry about? It is an infrequent scenario, yes, but I am just making sure.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Cool. So irrespective of aesthetic preferences, it sounds like the sliders were holding you back a bit on obstacles where the BL would have otherwise helped you clear more easily.

Is dropping on the frame/denting it (vs. on the slider itself) gonna hurt the truck in the long run? Or is this not something to worry about? It is an infrequent scenario, yes, but I am just making sure.
Not my pic but for example, having sliders 2" higher here let's you cruise right through. And hitting the frame isn't a concern. That's going to hit anyway. Hell, that's what the sliders are transferring their stress to anyway.

You don't HAVE to raise them. But it helps. It gives you more clearance. Just like you don't have to lift, or run 33"s or 35"s. But we do. To gain extra clearance. So why not get extra clearance here too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts