1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
on line
612 Posts
You can get a better lift than that for the money... check out the sticky thread at the top of the Suspension Threads.

·
on line
809 Posts
The Rancho lift has not been received well at all and I scratched it off my list quite early due to this.

If you are looking for a fixed strut, lift spring lift I would highly recommend you look at Old Man Emu from Rocky Road. The application listed is the >05 pathy but it will work on the X. Kneebuster has the OME struts, but AC coils, so you may want to seek his input on the fixed strut lift using OME.

·
on line
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want a lift that will beef up my overall ride off road, still work great on the highway, and will NOT mess up my t-case or driveline. Under a grand would be a good price range.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Under a grand would be a good price range.

A buddy with an FJ has OME struts and they're really fantastic, and a great price for the performance.

One thing to consider is you're in that price range is flexibility of the components. For example, if you get the adjustable Radflo coilovers from PRG then you'll be able to adjust your ride if/when you get a bumper/winch.

Radflo Coilovers ~$700
PRG adjustable shackle ~$120
Bilstein extended length shocks (for the rear) ~$170

Hows that for under $1k?

All that and the ability to adjust your ride height.

·
on line
95 Posts
XKNUT said:
Under a grand would be a good price range.

A buddy with an FJ has OME struts and they're really fantastic, and a great price for the performance.

One thing to consider is you're in that price range is flexibility of the components. For example, if you get the adjustable Radflo coilovers from PRG then you'll be able to adjust your ride if/when you get a bumper/winch.

Radflo Coilovers ~$700

Hows that for under $1k?

All that and the ability to adjust your ride height.
XKNUT
I know that ther will be slight variations, but how many inches will X be lifted with this setup?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I believe you should get around 2.5-3" of lift with this setup. Not so sure on the 3" since im running a PRG Upper control arm. I think to get the full 3 you need the UCA. Someone correct me if im wrong.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
xterra3100 said:
Not so sure on the 3" since im running a PRG Upper control arm. I think to get the full 3 you need the UCA. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Nope... you are correct. the coilovers that work with your factory upper controll arm's will not be able to give you 3" of lift. Im not exactly sure how much lift they give. *didnt someone say that the 2.5 in radflo 2.5 didnt mean how much lift it gave you, it meant something else?

·
on line
4,593 Posts
didnt someone say that the 2.5 in radflo 2.5 didnt mean how much lift it gave you, it meant something else?

Yes, sorta.

The 2" Radflo that is sold by PRG is not the amount of lift; it is the diameter of the shock tube. Radflo does sell a 2.5" shock (tube) but I do not believe it will fit inside the Eibach springs in our Xs.

These coilovers are adjustable from 0 to 3" of lift. Now, there are a couple different versions of this shock and I'm not sure what the part numbers are, and depending on the shock you'll get more/less travel. Greg can easily sort it out over a phone call. And, yes, to see the full 3" I do believe you'll need the PRG UCA as well.

In general, with the Radflos adjusted all the way up and the PRG shackle set to highest setting you'll get 3" of lift. However, it is adjustable. But IME you'll see vibrations in the rear and coil bucket contact in the front. YMMV. The PRG UCAs are designed to soften the coil bucket contact with giant polyurathane "pucks" mounted in just the right spot to absorb the contact. They certainly reduce the metallic THUNK to more of a thud.

·
on line
366 Posts
XKNUT said:

Radflo Coilovers ~$700

Wouldn't it be better to get a AAL for the rear vs a shackle? I think the price is only slightly higher for the AAL.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to get a AAL for the rear vs a shackle?

Better is always debatable. And I'm still quite the newbie in this regard.

However, yes in my limited experience I think a AAL would be better over a shackle alone. The rear suspension tends to bottom out and this is the best solution for it. But is it the right solution for "lift"?

Keep in mind the 2 leaf Dever "mini pack" AAL only gives you about 1 1/2" of lift and will settle some over time.

Yes you can get additional leaves, and/or have them arched differently...this likely will entail a price change.

But, ultimately you need to match whatever you're doing up front with what's going on in the rear as well. Your suspension is a "total package" and needs to work in concert with each other for optimal efficiency. It is a "system".

I'm sure the more experienced gear heads will be along shortly with better, more detailed responses.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
XKNUT said:
didnt someone say that the 2.5 in radflo 2.5 didnt mean how much lift it gave you, it meant something else?

And, yes, to see the full 3" I do believe you'll need the PRG UCA as well.

what about if you have the TC UCA?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
miles said:
XKNUT said:

And, yes, to see the full 3" I do believe you'll need the PRG UCA as well.

what about if you have the TC UCA?
YES. Pretty much any aftermarket UCA will do the same for coil bucket contact, and lift attainment.

·
on line
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm, I know that there are tons of different options. I only want a slight lift. I dont need 3-5 inches. I also want to play it safe. i dont want to blow diffs, tcase, or anything because of the lift.

and does anyone know any good shops in New england that could do the install?

·
on line
2,004 Posts
it;s bigger tires, also when the tire loses traction, and all of a sudden it regains it. that's the dangerous aspect.

·
on line
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, delete diff failure, I want a lift that wont cause any future probs, whatever they may be

1 - 19 of 19 Posts