Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. love the info and research done by y'all. here's waht i'm thinking, please give your opinions. i am looking for a good solid lift that is noticeable, i rarely wheel but have enjoyed being able to do so when the opportunity arises, and will have 10 month old daughter in truck at times so it needs to be safe. definately on a tight budget .
rancho quicklift and autozone bumpstops for front
deaver mini and timbren bumpstops with ac shackles and rancho rs9000x in rear
what do y'all think?
i also am loooking to put on some bf goodrich at's. what do you think of using the 245/75r 17's(i have an se, so a 17 inch wheel) to make the lift look higher? thanks for all your thoughts.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I'm running the same setup, minus the AC shackles and the Timbrens. I don't know how much the Rancho Quicklift will yield, as the only actual install I know of was in the 4WD and SUV mag, and they said 2 inches. With the shackles and the mini pack, your going to be nose down, by at least an 1.5"

Since your gonna run ranchos all the way around, I'd save the money on the rear shackles, and put it towards the Rancho in-cab control system for your shocks. I may do that in the future, unless I get something better for the rear from PRG. Jen really likes that setup she's got.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Well your not really going the "inexpensive" route in my humble opinion.

The bumpstops really arent that nessecery i dont think. EWspecially if your not going to be wheeling very often and are mostly going for looks. You dont need the new shocks in the rear with the deaver mini pack, with shackle maybe..........And no one can really say what the front will look like with the rancho quick lift.......No ones done it yet.

Now for a noticable lift on a budget. The top gun costumz spacers are great. They cost 100 bucks and give 3 inches of lift, thats what i got anyways. And adding in the deaver mini pack, it was great. I still have that stock feel in the ride quality. And thats not just my opinion, any X owner with a different lift can feel it to when they ride in my truck.
Feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions about my set up. It should be going into the sticky sometime soon. Also, mine with the alignement, cam bolts, and new ubolts and shims ended up costing me about 500 bucks total.

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking 1.5"'s @ the stock rake so it would be o.k. am i mistaken?
i had dismissed spacers in front bcuz of coil bucket contact, but i will look into the top gunz product on your suggestion, thank you guys.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Well, like you said, minimal offroading....................And you can still get upper coil bucket contact with the ranch quick lift. Only way to get away from coil bucket contact would be to get new upper control arms for like 500 bucks.

Anytime you put something larger than stock into that space, your liekly to get the contact.

I havent had any contact so far. Only a couple times when iw as offrroad, but i was climbing up a water fall full of some pretty big ledges and twists................so i wouldnt count them out because of that....

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I should edit my post. There is no garuntee you wont get contact with the rancho quicklift, but there is no garuntee you will either. Same with what i have, some people get contact, some dont.

Yes, the spacers are the ones in the fronty section. I called them when i ordered it to make sure that i got exactly what would fit my Xterra. Id call if i were going to order. Just smarter!

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Yes. Same as the Fronty. If your going for rake, then that'll probably be plenty, if not excessive. But for me, any rake is excessive. LOL. If I'm not mistaken, you'll need to run longer brakelines in the rear with that setup. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

·
on line
26 Posts
If you run the deavers and shackles don't you need to extend the brake lines and run a longer shock in the back?

In regards to mcampana statement about longer U bolts and shims; I think he is running the deavers with the overload leaf still installed. Greg at PRG doesn't recommend that setup, but it still seems to work. So, if you took the overload out, you wouldn't need longer U bolts and MAY not require shims. If you keep the overload, then you would definetly need longer U bolts.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Id ask greag about the break lines and shocks with the shakles included in the deaver set up. If you didnt use shackles, i know for sure you dont need to upgrade that stuff.

As far as shims go. Turtle doesnt have the overload leaf in, he needed shims. 2 degree

I kept the overload, so i needed 3 degree. Greg may tell you to leave the overload leaf out. I talk to an actuall employee at Deaver Springs. They said it was ok to leave it in. I think ill go with the manufactur on this one. Deaver told me that you will get more offroad articulation but not be able to tow. But if you leave it in you probably wont notice. And if your not going offroad like all the time. LeVE IT.

With out the OL leaf your supposed to get more articulation, but in turn you lose carrying and towing capacity. Your also more likely to bend the leafs backwards. I dont know about you, but i dont like that idea unless i have an entirely new spring pack!

As far as the u bolts go. Id get new. When you put on u bolts, your stretching them. So new ones would be a good idea, especially since your spending the money anyways on everything else. AND your going to be carting around your baby. Id do everything i could to make sure that my mods wont have a chance of blowing up on me. Is it garunteed your u bolts will die if you re use them? No, but who wants to play that game?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I see so much mentioned about the Deaver mini-pack, but never hear anyone mention the Calmini AAL. Why? $150 for a 2-leaf AAL, with shims and new u-bolts. Thats got Deaver beat by easily $50. Maybe due to the reputation of Calmini on the board, but seems like a great, cost effective option to me. That is what I'll be going with.

As for the budget lift in the original post, it looks like that set-up is going to run in the +/- $1,000 range. If you are really looking to go on the cheap, Top Gunz and some form of AAL or shackle in the back will get you out the door for around $500, as mcampana mentioned. The Timbrens may not be necessary, but I suppose it depends on what kind of load you plan on carrying.

·
on line
589 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
I see so much mentioned about the Deaver mini-pack, but never hear anyone mention the Calmini AAL. Why? $150 for a 2-leaf AAL, with shims and new u-bolts. Thats got Deaver beat by easily $50. Maybe due to the reputation of Calmini on the board, but seems like a great, cost effective option to me. That is what I'll be going with.
I love my Calmini AAL, and through some tough off-roading and quite a few trips as well as a decent amount of miles already; they have held up great.

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya know, its funny you mention the calmini. something about their products is very attractive to me. however, it has been out for so long and there were so few reviews on it, i just wasn't sure. any words on their front spacer kit?

·
on line
589 Posts
Actually, I did have the front spacer from them at one point too. I ended up getting rid of it on account of wanting to get away from spacers in general; but they were good enough, I was getting coil bucket contact though. The coil bucket contact was my fault though, I put the 2wd spacer on an off-road setup up front so I was asking for it. Besides that, the spacers were very solid and nicely designed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts