Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been going back and forth about which lift to go with. Decided to go with a budget lift and put money in other upgrades.

Built some storage drawers for the rear a while back and find that I'm bottoming out a lot over speed humps. When the truck is loaded for camping/travel with the family it bottoms out constantly. Figured an AAL would help with that and I can add air bags if it's still a problem.

Ordered:
-Adjustable 5100s up front - planning to run with stock coils at 1.5"
-Nisstec Deaver Add-A-Leaf
-Shims
-Extended U-bolts
-Cam Bolts

Can't wait for it to show up!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
51 Posts
tagged. i'd like to see how this setup does as well.

let us know on clearance gained, but ride quality too.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You'll enjoy this setup. It's basically what I have. Frankly, I don't have any desire to do anything more to the suspension. Just keep in mind that with the 5100's in the front set to 1.5" (actually 1.75"), it will top out over speed bumps, but you don't run into speed bumps when off road :)

I also hope you got the extended length rear 5100's. They'll allow the rear axle to drop as far as possible without extended brake lines. Oh, and ditch the rear sway bar... Look at my avatar pic and compare it to this one. The rear is maxed out in both pics, but this one is with the extended 5100's and no sway bar. Big difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll enjoy this setup. It's basically what I have. Frankly, I don't have any desire to do anything more to the suspension. Just keep in mind that with the 5100's in the front set to 1.5" (actually 1.75"), it will top out over speed bumps, but you don't run into speed bumps when off road :)

I also hope you got the extended length rear 5100's. They'll allow the rear axle to drop as far as possible without extended brake lines. Oh, and ditch the rear sway bar... Look at my avatar pic and compare it to this one. The rear is maxed out in both pics, but this one is with the extended 5100's and no sway bar. Big difference.

Yeah - I looked closely at your lift when I was researching. Haven't ordered the rear 5100s yet. Do you know the model number for the extended rears or where I can find them? Nice updated pics - Definitely more flex in the rear. Does it handle ok on road without the swaybar?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah - I looked closely at your lift when I was researching. Haven't ordered the rear 5100s yet. Do you know the model number for the extended rears or where I can find them? Nice updated pics - Definitely more flex in the rear. Does it handle ok on road without the swaybar?
I don't know the PN for the rear 5100's. I just ordered the ones for a 2-4" lift from Nisstec - it's probably on my receipt, where ever that is... When I put them on, I had the axle dropped with no shocks as far as it would go. This was with the shackles set to (supposedly) 1.5" lift. The brake lines were pretty much extended to the max and I had to raise the axle about an inch to put the shocks on. I'm assuming Nisstec sent me the longer shocks. I can't imagine anything longer working.

I barely notice the rear sway bar being gone. I really have to pay attention to the rear of the X when making hard, freeway speed turns to feel any more sway than before.

The biggest difference with these shocks is the damping. Believe it or not, compared to stock shocks, these feel softer on the road. When braking, for example, the truck nose dives more than it used to. It also rears up when accelerating more. This lift might be causing some of this though. The trucks CG was raised, so I'd expect more roll in every direction. But, off road is no comparison to stock. I have to hit things really hard to bottom now, which is how it should be...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have that exact setup plus PRG 1/2" lift spacers on top of the coilovers for 2" up front. It started out as the TJM/Bilstein combo but swapped out for the stock springs. So much happier. Haven't been off-road with the new setup since I swapped springs in Sept. so can't comment on off road ride.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marshall - were you able to install the 1/2" spacer without having to replace the 3 studs at the top of the coil over? Was there enough thread showing to get the nuts installed up top? May end up adding 1/2" spacers in the future when I add a bumper to help offset the extra weight.

Last of the parts showed up today. Off Friday so plan to install then!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I only have about 1/4" of those bolts showing above the nut. I gave up on adding a spacer. ALSO.... I remember talking to Chris at Nisstec and he clue'd me into something I had not considered... Bushing flex. Believe it or not, I had CB contact one time so far. It's LOUD. It was when the front wheel dropped off a sharp edge rapidly. I knew what it was right away. Adding any kind of spacer on top of the 5100's could only make that happen more often.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got the lift installed. Was off on Friday so I swapped everything out then. No problems with seized bolts so was able to break everything loose with a breaker bar. All seemed to go well. I tried to use some woodworking clamps to tension the rear leaf springs with the add a leaf inserted, but they didn't have the power to compress the springs. After screwing around with them for an hour or so I had to make a run to Harbor Freight to pick up some large c-clamps. $5 each and they worked like a champ! Definitely pick up some c-clamps if you plan to do an add-a-leaf yourself!

Going to get an alignment later today. Searched around for the best alignment deal and it looks like it's hard to beat the Firestone lifetime alignment. If you only go twice then you easily get your money's worth. I plan to add a bumper and may add spacers to offset the weight, so I'll be in need of another alignment then, anyway. Plan to keep the X for a while so I'll certainly get my money's worth.

The biggest pain was waiting at Pepboys for the spring/shock swap. Decided to just take it to them to have them swap the coils over to the new shocks rather than try the rental spring compressors. Was quoted $25 per side on the phone. The breakdown was $20 per side, $6 for extended warranty (I guess I'm good if they screwed something up?) and $3 shop fee - out the door for $49.

Called Pepboys early in the morning and they said working me in would be no problem. Pulled everything off the truck and got over there at around 12:00 to find that they were swamped with customers. Black Friday tire sale plus discounts on maintenance so I ended up waiting around for almost 2 hours. Oh well - they seem to have gotten the swap right - reused all parts and the shock/spring/top cap alignment looked right.

Took a few pictures and measurements before and will take more after the alignment for comparison.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I didn't replace the stock Bilsteins in the rear . Thought I'd check to see how it rides with the stock shocks and replace them later, if needed.

Plan to talk to Nisstec to see if they recommend the 5100s for the rears or the TJM gold rears that they have on the site.

The Bils and the TJM golds are $169/pair and the OME shocks are $208/pair. I've run OME lifts on 2 other trucks, and really liked the ride, but not sure if they're worth the extra money in this case. The 5100s have gotten pretty good reviews so that's probably the direction I'll go.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...The breakdown was $20 per side, $6 for extended warranty (I guess I'm good if they screwed something up?) and $3 shop fee.
Hmmm. So, $60 to have them swap the springs over to the Bilsteins? Considering the PITA of using a spring compressor, that's worth it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Ride - really pleased with the ride of the full install. After reading some reviews of folks that weren't happy with the ride when set at 2" I was concerned that it would be rough. I'm running mine at 1.5" and think the ride is great. It's a little more firm up front, but it is certainly active and has improved the handling.

The big surprise for me was the Nisstec Add-A-Leaf in the rear. The ride is 10x better than stock. Smoothly soaks up speed humps without bottoming out - really produces a nice ride! I'm still running the stock rear Bilsteins and don't think I'll rush to replace them. The ride is great.

Really pleased with the overall improvement in ride from the lift. Just got it on this weekend and haven't had a chance to get on the trails, but did go to a job site that has some washed out and rutted 'roads'. Look forward to getting offroad more to test it out.

·
on line
874 Posts
Hmmm. So, $60 to have them swap the springs over to the Bilsteins? Considering the PITA of using a spring compressor, that's worth it.

I just did this, rented the tool at the local auto store, took maybe 10 min per side to use, I had the one with the locking pins that clamps on to the spring so I felt safe using it... 20 min of my time is better than 2 hours and $60
I have seen all the youtube vid's and heard horror stories about using them, I really don't see what the problem is having now used them, follow directions, stay safe, save money!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just did this, rented the tool at the local auto store, took maybe 10 min per side to use, I had the one with the locking pins that clamps on to the spring so I felt safe using it... 20 min of my time is better than 2 hours and $60
I have seen all the youtube vid's and heard horror stories about using them, I really don't see what the problem is having now used them, follow directions, stay safe, save money!
I rented the same tool (for free - O'Reilly Auto). To get the spring compressed enough, I had to really crank on the compressor bolts. I could see them bending from the strain. I also couldn't fit a socket on the bolt heads, so a closed end wrench made tightening them a long process. Even holding the shocks in a vice, I had to have a friend hold them so they wouldn't move when cranking the bolts. Not my idea of fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts