Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, is there a kit for the Xterra that allows you to adjust the height of the lift electronically? (stock height to 2.5" or whatever) I've seen stuff like this in some SUV's, but searching this forum and google turned up nothing.

·
on line
238 Posts
Actually I think this subject brushed the forum quite a while ago. You cannot do it and still have a functioning suspension system. IFS needs to be aligned whenever you change the height which effects the angles of the alignment. The rear leaf springs would be ok with it though.

·
on line
238 Posts
That kit is for extra load capacity, not lift. Although as I was told it will, as a side benefit, add 1/2" of height. I believe the type of system he is looking for is one similar to LandRover's where the ride height can be changed for on road and off road situations. LandRover's vehicle was a full solid axle setup of course.

·
on line
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the type of system he is looking for is one similar to LandRover's where the ride height can be changed for on road and off road situations. LandRover's vehicle was a full solid axle setup of course.
Yea thats what I was thinking, where you could change it based on conditions. One thing I don't get still, if it can't be done because of IFS, then how to crossovers like the Lexus (fully independent suspension) have a feature like this:

"At speeds over 62 mph, the vehicle automatically lowers 0.3 inches (Normal mode), for increased control and superior aerodynamics. For even better handling during sport driving, you can select Low mode, which lowers the vehicle 0.6 inches. For low-speed emergency driving on rough terrain, switch to High mode to raise the ground clearance to a full 8.3 inches. And for easy loading of passengers and cargo, the vehicle will lower an additional 1.2 inches (Access mode)."

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well for 'sport' mode the car is lowered right? which means that all four of the tires are slightly like this / \ which means that the car will have better cornering capabilities (hence the sport). That is just a guess....

As for high mode.... 8.3 inces of clearance!!!!!! that is pretty damn good for a crossover!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Anything can be done if it's engineered into the vehicle. Trying to retrofit the same type of system could be pretty hard. One of your biggest problems is steering. Since the R&P is attached to the frame, as you raise and lower the frame it changes the length of the tierods. This with cause your wheels to toe in and toe out. It will also throw off your camber.

Though, anything can be done and I bet if you take it to a custom shop and drop some money on the counter, they can do it for you. But I am pretty sure you will never seen a bolt on kit to do this for our X's.

·
on line
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea thats where I first saw it. I was driving a Toureg and was thinking it was pretty damn awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts