Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're putting our Nisstec lift on tomorrow with a full leaf pack, and I'm shopping for grease to lube the bushings. I did a search to make sure I was getting the right kind.

Half the folks say to pack them good with white lithium grease.
The other half say never use lithium because the petroleum base will destroy the bushings.

So which is it? One guy on the FJ forum said the grease "melted" his bushings in about 5 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
386 Posts
I use silicon grease on urethane bushings.

·
on line
730 Posts
I had the same issue when i installed my Alcans. I turns out the after i packed it with silicone grease i started having major squicks in the leafs after about 3 months. After reading up on various sources i have decided to re grease the rear using Mole grease ( also known as CV joint grease) this is what SPC recommends on their front upper A arm bushings and i have not had a problem with them at all http://www.spcalignment.com/component/kb/article/25540___nissan_frontier_xterra_pathfinder_upper_control_arms

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just spoke to a guy with an Xterra who said lithium is fine because the OME springs come with urethane bushings, not rubber, and won't degrade. Not sure if that's accurate.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I bet his name was Charles? He called me and asked about how I did both his and his wife's since we are both squeak free. Pack full of white lithium grease. Use a lot of it.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LOL. You're right, we all (ExPo folks) just had lunch.

Btw, I got a tube of Lucas Oil from HD. Assuming 1 is enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey gravedgr, did the bushings come with the OME leaf pack or did you have to buy them separately
It should come in the leaf pack. I suppose I could tear the box open and look.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
don't worry about tearing into the box until your ready to install everthing, I will give Nisstec a call on Monday when I will be ordering the suspension parts I want. thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bushings were in the box with two small packs of grease.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Np. If you have any trouble like we did, bushings will be the least of your worries.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts