Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but now I'm experiencing a vibration between 20-30 mph. The lift is a Daystar 2" spacer/shackle. I did the install myself, and was generally anal retentive about the whole affair. Now, at speeds between 20-30 mph, a vibration comes through the steering wheel and makes a low, bassy resonance in the cabin. Above and below those speeds, and everything is normal. It's definitely new and definitely noticeable. It seemed to increase a bit after the alignment was done.

Anyone else experience this, or have any idea what might cause this? I'm kind of at a loss as to why it might be behaving this way.

Thanks for any help...

·
on line
142 Posts
Wow, that sucks, but you will not be at a loss around here. I am planning on installing that lift when I get home in February.

I do not have any experience with this issue but I think we could all use a little more info to help you troubleshoot.

Who did the alignment? And how is their reputation?
Did you have adjustable cam bolts installed for the alignment?
Did you have new tires mounted and balanced?
Have you drove at least 50 miles since the install? I would retorque all of the hardware that was involved with the lift. Maybe something came loose.

Hopefully this helps.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alignment was done by Firestone. This particular one has a long-standing great reputation as well.

The night before I took it in for the alignment, I installed the eccentric cam bolts.

I'm using the same wheels and tires.

I've driven it right around 50 miles since the install, and I'm going to retorque everything, but I have a pretty strong feeling everything will still be to spec.

The service manual has some troubleshooting tips, but they are general and pretty vague, although I will continue to look at them today.

I installed everything using anti-seize compound and blue thread locker.

I had the front end done for a few days beofre tackling the rear. When I had the front finished, I drove it around the block, and don't remember having this issue. It seems like after the rear was done, and the alignment finished is when it started to happen.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
sorry, no help from me, but Im deff. interested in knowing if you fix it what was causing it.

·
on line
111 Posts
Sure sounds like the usual pinion angle induced vibration. I know shackles aren't known to cause that, but take a look at your pinion angle. Does it look off? Does it look like you need an axle shim to point the differential up to get the correct straight-on angle? Your symptoms are identical to what I had (with Alcan springs) before adding shims.

·
on line
423 Posts
Scott said:
Sure sounds like the usual pinion angle induced vibration. I know shackles aren't known to cause that, but take a look at your pinion angle. Does it look off? Does it look like you need an axle shim to point the differential up to get the correct straight-on angle? Your symptoms are identical to what I had (with Alcan springs) before adding shims.
this was my thought too.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This pinion angle perspective...I hadn't thought of that. I'm having a difficult time envisioning the shim you're talking about though. A picture is worth a thousand words, and if you know where I can find one that would be aces.

So I took a couple hours today and went through my lift install. As I suspected, everything was still torqued to spec and all was well. I do have a feeling that the front suspension is not the cause, but that it's actually the rear end causing that bassy vibration that makes its way through the steering wheel.

I did manage to accidentally push the passenger-side upper ball joint seal a bit high while going through the install, and most of it's grease squirted out past the seal. :tard:

·
on line
1,127 Posts
I would bet Money That it is your pinion angle since i had the exact same problem. You need shims. A veryy good test for this, to make sure its pinion angle and not anything else is have to of your friends jump in the back seat of your X and then drive around. If it goes away you need shims.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, thanks....Looks like I'm off to check out that angle, and then on to Project Shim....

Do any of the vendors that normally get press around here (AC, Calmini, etc) have shims available?

BTW, does anyone know offhand if the upper ball joint is serviceable (i.e., greaseable)? I doesn't appear to be...guess I'll check out the service manual.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are no serviceable (greasable) components on the X.

You can however buy a grease gun needle and inject the grease right through the boot. The rubber of the boot will seal right back up.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Muzikman said:
You can however buy a grease gun needle and inject the grease right through the boot. The rubber of the boot will seal right back up.
Cool, I'll do that just for the peace of mind. I should be able to do it without even jacking up the truck or taking the wheels off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts