Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a lift and saw the deluxe package from AC using the AAL and Coils. I was sold on it till I saw the Alcan post from Sexterra. So now my question is can I purchase the coils from AC with the brake line extender, back and front shocks and then combine them with the Alcan leafs?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Simple answer yes, but you have to buy each component separate.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about a more difficult answer? H AH AH AHHAA

The truth is that I am a fan of the coils/AAL package but I cant help but notice the huge difference between the Alcans and the AAL's provided by AC.

Other than just ordering the parts seperate, I am sure somewhere I will have to adjust something to make sure they align properly no?

I am definitely not a gearhead yet but I am hoping to start somewhere.

Got any other insight into what this will really entail me doing or if it is even a good idea to begin with?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Well you should install all the items at the same time, then have your truck aligned.

Each part is pretty much independent of each other with the exception of the front shocks/struts and the coils.

Another option is to purchase radflow coilovers from prg for use with the stock UCA. They will provide a much nicer ride and probably cost the same as the coils and deluxe shocks in the front.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that I had to also get the Total Chaos UCA's if I wanted to use the coilover shocks.

Also the coilover shocks alone cost 700. I dont know if the entire deluxe package costs that much from AC.

It might make more economic sense to get the Deluxe package from AC and the Alcans and just sell the AC AAL's although I dont know how much I could get for them. I dont think enough to cover the shipping!

Thank you for your help by the way.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The AC coils up front will give you ~2.5" of lift up front.

The Alcan rear leafs will give you what ever lift you specify when you order (they build to spec and will ask you questions about your setup and how much lift you want, how much weight you carry in the back, etc.

So you just have to make sure these two things jive. I personally would make sure the back would sit 1/2 - 1" higher than the front at the inital install to allow for settling and so forth, but it would be best to talk to Alcan about this as they may already add in some extra height for settling.

You can then use what ever shocks you would like, and I would extend the brake lines as well. (The shocks and brake lines wouldn't be needed unless you wheel and want the most flex possible out of the rear).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can get a set of RadFlo coilover shocks that fit without needing the TC UCA. They obviously don't give you as much lift or wheel travel as the version with TC UCA but they do work. Turtle on the board is running them.

Also, there is a huge difference between the coils that come with the AC kit and a whole new coilover shock. Both in quality and performance.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this is a personal opinion question but I do value the opinions of people who actually know more than I do so I gotta ask if it even makes sense to do it.

I mean for the extra work and money would any one of you guys even consider it or would you just take the deluxe package and move on to a shrockbumper?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, somewhere between my Deluxe AC Package inquiry and this one I became a Local instead of just a member.

Have a drink with me friends. My treat!

:eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am running the AC coils up front and I have been happy with them. I want to change to new coilovers just because they are better, but if you are on a budget I would get the AC coils and use the money saved for armor. IMO armor is in the running for the most important item (it a toss up between tires and armor...tires I feel make the single biggest difference when wheeling).

·
on line
114 Posts
I just ordered the Radflo's from Greg at PRG with the 700 lb springs. He's sending me the revised version (longer shock) since I have the TC UCA's already.

Interesting note: He informed me that the AC coils' spring rate is around 1200-1300 lbs. Man, that's gotta be stiff. I know that people are running the AC coils to be used with heavy front bumpers but is it not overkill? Greg mentioned that if someone were to order the Radflo coilovers for use with a heavier front bumper, he'd recommend the 850 lb springs.

·
on line
564 Posts
2006x said:
I just ordered the Radflo's from Greg at PRG with the 700 lb springs. He's sending me the revised version (longer shock) since I have the TC UCA's already....
Did Greg happen to mention how much more travel the longer shock will give you?

Rob

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea mix and match is OK, But look in yellow pages, I local spring shop can make same thing as alcan and you will save $ and shipping I bet. There is no magic to making springs, It's flat stock and they add the arch, as much as you want/need. The rest of the parts are on the shelf. Plus, nothing wrong with what you have, I'd just add 2 leafs above the overload like http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3656&highlight= But not like Mini pack, I'd go like top mini pack spring as a lower spring and make a longer one that will set right between that and the next one........ So it will look same as Alcan. Alcan has it nailed but you toss some good springs and it's pretty expensive, you end up paying for stuff you already have.

I like the AAl idea because the shackles stay tucked up under. Looks better and no need for a Timbren with that! If the springs are just the right rate, fantastic ride quality for on road manners and Off Road lift.

Talk to a local shop before you order. Why export retail? MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
My local spring shops are ridiculous. It cost me almost $300 for my top spring when that broke. In fairness I needed it ASAP.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
robnfl said:
2006x said:
I just ordered the Radflo's from Greg at PRG with the 700 lb springs. He's sending me the revised version (longer shock) since I have the TC UCA's already....
Did Greg happen to mention how much more travel the longer shock will give you?

Rob
20% more travel than stock... and running an aftermarket shackle with stock spring or AAL will also increase travel and articulation!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
kokopop said:
My local spring shops are ridiculous. It cost me almost $300 for my top spring when that broke. In fairness I needed it ASAP.
Hummmm well just to see I am going to get a price on a factory spec top spring and see what it is, you have my interest up. Normal markup is 2X to 2.5 times their cost in any business like that. NY is a rip off all the way around, I order same food from same FF place in NY as say Ohio and the change from a 20 in NY is what that food actually cost in Ohio. I look at it like HUH? Taco Bell? I need a receipt! MC

·
on line
1,320 Posts
kokopop said:
Man, that sucks... an entire 9-leaf pack from Alcan is only $230 and that's with military wrapped eyes and poly bushings.
Whew, just sucks that you were stuck without it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts