Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, Just trying to iron out the idiosyncrasies of the lifts before taking the plunge. I was guided towards the complete OME kit in another thread but I'd really like to go about 3 inches higher as opposed to 1.5. So my questions are...

1. What size lift are you running?
2. Are you getting driveline vibrations?
3. Did shims get rid of the vibrations?

This is my daily driver so dependability and smooth ride are paramount. If I can be relatively certain that shims will get rid of the vibes I'll go with a radflo kit...otherwise I'll just go with OME and maybe add a 2" body lift to get the height I want. I should add that this is mainly for looks and a modest improvement in both off roading and load carrying ability. Thanks for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Hi Everyone, Just trying to iron out the idiosyncrasies of the lifts before taking the plunge. I was guided towards the complete OME kit in another thread but I'd really like to go about 3 inches higher as opposed to 1.5. So my questions are...

1. What size lift are you running? 3" PRG advanced
2. Are you getting driveline vibrations? was, but not now
3. Did shims get rid of the vibrations? Yes.

This is my daily driver so dependability and smooth ride are paramount. If I can be relatively certain that shims will get rid of the vibes I'll go with a radflo kit...otherwise I'll just go with OME and maybe add a 2" body lift to get the height I want. I should add that this is mainly for looks and a modest improvement in both off roading and load carrying ability. Thanks for your help!!!
Response in red.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
is this the kit you are referring too? how do you like that 2 leaf pack in the back? the reason i keep coming back to a kit like this vs OME is the adjustability. when i get around to adding armor i'll go insane if my rake is off.
The big thing you need to know is the stock leaf pack sucks balls and will sag over time. I started with PRG aal and PRG shackles at the lowest setting and had about 1" rake, then that sank and I went up to the middle hole on the shackles. Then, that sank so I went to the top hole. That settled after a while so I went and added a set of Hellwig helper springs behind the axle. That settled more, so I added a set in front as well.

I'm now level, with no rake (wish I had about 1") with aal, shackles at max setting, helper springs in rear of the axle and helper springs in front of the axle, all because I'm slapping band-aids on Nissans horrible leafs. If I could start again I would have just gone Alcans and been done.

ymmv

·
Registered
79 Posts
I already did the front leveling kit from tough country.Its a over the coil spacer that gave 1.75" of lift now im going to try my version of a aal.I have a few leafs left from my 08 titan pack that I took apart for a lift on a jeep xj which worked out great.Im going to use the second longest spring to do my lift with hopes of a decent amount of lift but not too much to cause vibes.the reasonfor the longer spring is to hopefully spread out the lift throughout the length of the pack, not like most aal options out there that are for the most part I think too short

·
Registered
79 Posts
ive talked with greg at PRG about the vibration issues>he told me about a company in California;JEREEL driveline that can custom make a driveshaft that is similar to the jeep Chrysler types that should correct the vibe problem. I haven't called yet waiting to raise some dough for this driveshaft.the number should be 928-706-5291

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
J.E. Reel will make them, so will Tom Woods. I don't have any experience with J.E. Reel, but have heard them recommended several times. I can vouch for Tom Woods though. Good product. You should have a good amount of lift before shims won't fix the issue though. I was around 5" of lift when my 3 degree shims wouldn't fix it.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I have a 2inch lift I put the shims on while I had everything apart I only ever had a slight vibration at 35-40 mph and after a couple months it stopped and has yet to come back. I will admit my springs have 100k on them so they may have sagged back down closer to stock height again :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts