Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two of these and ordered 1 of these just now.

Award-winning LifeStraw has been used by millions around the globe since 2005
Removes minimum 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction) and surpasses EPA standards for water filters
Removes minimum 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction) and filters to an amazing 0.2 microns
Filters up to 1000 liters of contaminated water WITHOUT iodine, chlorine, or other chemicals
Comes in a sealed bag, perfect for storing for emergencies

and this

Award-winning LifeStraw Family is used by over 13,200,000 people worldwide
Surpasses EPA standards for water purifiers: removes 99.99% viruses, 99.9999% bacteria and 99.9% protozoan cysts to 0.02 microns
Purifies 18,000 liters/4755 gallons WITHOUT iodine, chlorine, or other chemicals; Clean drinking water for a family of four for 3 years
Gravity filter - pour water in the top and clean water comes out the bottom; Comes in a sealed bag, perfect for storing for emergencies
Flow rate of 9 -12 liters per hour

The life straw should definitely be in your Xterra first aid kit or bug out kit.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
You know, for $20, the Life Straw is a great purchase.
I'll likely add one to the kit in the hatch at some point.

The Katadyn filter goes to 0.3 microns, but the one with the ceramic filter will do 0.2 microns. The MSR is on par. I do not recall the size of giardia, salmonella, and cryptosporidia but IIRC 0.3 microns is sufficient to block them out.
Other protozoa and pathogens I'm unsure of, but in my travels will not likely encounter them, Zombie outbreak not-withstanding.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Neat! Never even thought to look for something like this.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I've used the Katadyne Hiker Pro and never had diarrhea from it. Pumps super fast too.

This seems very convenient without pumping. Think I'll get 2 as an emergency kit.

Anyone tried it? First hand experience? Thoughts?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Added one of these to my hiking pack a few months ago. I'll be testing it out in the next couple months for sure. Buy one, one gets donated. Good karma and a good product.
It was rated in the top 10 inventions that will change the world.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Just get the Sawyer Mini-filter. 100,000 Gallons @ 2 Oz weight.. $14 bucks on sale. Or $20 bucks.
http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

Can install inline to your camel back, or Straw, Bag, Mod a Water proof bag with filter on bottom for gravity filter. has good flow rate.

When Flow rate slows down. Back flush it.. Good to go for another 100,000. Just do not freeze!!!.. Ice will kill it. I have 3, one is stored in the X. Using one on my Rescue pack. Do not have to worry of Virus, Unless the big quake hits.. and human bodies in water source... might be issue.. Thus, Chlorine is good stuff.

.02 microns. They are nice.. If water looks iffy, 8 drops bleach/Per gallon Of 6%.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
.02 microns
point zero two?!?

:eek:

Does water even flow through it?
Thought you mis-typed and checked their website and that appears to be their legitimate claim.

It removes VIRUSES.

Only drawback is that freezing will damage the filter. This would prevent it from being in my truck at all times.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
The technology section has the information:
http://sawyer.com/technology/water-filtration/

To make it a superior solution, the fiber composition had to deliver exactly 0.1 & 0.02 micron filtration 100% of the time to ensure no bacteria would get through.
Each Sawyer filter is certified for ABSOLUTE microns; that means there is no pore size larger than 0.1 or 0.02 micron in size.
If viruses are an issue, we offer the Point ZeroTWO Purifier (0.02 micron absolute pores). This is the first and thus far only portable purification device to physically remove viruses. And it does it at a >5.5 log (99.9997%) rate, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations.
The .02 rating is for their Point ZeroTwo (tm) product line:

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/

The "straw" is 0.1 micron as you found; and at that filtration is quite fantastic. I wasn't clear in my above post about "it" removing viruses, I didn't intend to mean the "straw".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts