Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed today that one of the license plate lights is out. Seems quick as the X is only 4 months old, unless it's just a dummy light that doesn't illuminate. I assume this will be simple to change?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
844 Posts
it's absurdly simple to replace, it's a 194/168 style bulb, readily available and literally takes 30 secs to switch out. sit on the ground, reach behind the bumper and feel for the back of the bulb, turn it a quarter turn (I can't remember if it's clockwise or counterclockwise) and it'll pull right out. then just pull the bulb out and stick the new one in and you're finished! (lazies!)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
551 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
it's absurdly simple to replace, it's a 194/168 style bulb, readily available and literally takes 30 secs to switch out. sit on the ground, reach behind the bumper and feel for the back of the bulb, turn it a quarter turn (I can't remember if it's clockwise or counterclockwise) and it'll pull right out. then just pull the bulb out and stick the new one in and you're finished! (lazies!)
Could you post photo's and rewrite that in technogeek? J/K
 

·
on line
Joined
·
189 Posts
i got blue led bulbs on my license plate

and it looks hot when i push my alarm..

cheaa
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
In most states, all that I know of, anything but white is not legal. So if you get pulled over and he asks. "Do you know why I stopped you." Say "Because I have blue lights on my plates?" And he'll think you are pretty smart. But they LOVE to mentally record things like that and pull you over when they have time or nothing else to do... Or they thing you have something going on they want to check out anyways.

Pretty much, only Amber and white can be on front half and only Red on rear half, there is always an exception, the rear license plate must be illuminated with a white light so as to been seen from a distance at night.
No light needed for front plates. All other colors reserved for Public service. Some states recently added provisions for undercarriage indirect lighting. Amber lights in rear can only light when turn is activated.

A blue light will make your plate appear to be from out of state, so they think you are trying to pull something on them. Like bank robery? MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Yeah man, it might look cool but you'll make yourself stand out on the freeway. If you're lucky you'll be pulled over right away. If you're not, the cop will follow you until he's logged like 10 infractions, then he'll pull you over.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
189 Posts
usmc xterra said:
In most states, all that I know of, anything but white is not legal. So if you get pulled over and he asks. "Do you know why I stopped you." Say "Because I have blue lights on my plates?" And he'll think you are pretty smart. But they LOVE to mentally record things like that and pull you over when they have time or nothing else to do... Or they thing you have something going on they want to check out anyways.

Pretty much, only Amber and white can be on front half and only Red on rear half, there is always an exception, the rear license plate must be illuminated with a white light so as to been seen from a distance at night.
No light needed for front plates. All other colors reserved for Public service. Some states recently added provisions for undercarriage indirect lighting. Amber lights in rear can only light when turn is activated.

A blue light will make your plate appear to be from out of state, so they think you are trying to pull something on them. Like bank robery? MC
ah ic..
i never knew this
i had this bulbs changed out since last year and i have not been pulled over yet...

i will post a pic of it up..

i hope i dont get pulled over...that would suckk
 

·
on line
Joined
·
189 Posts
syndicate said:
Yeah man, it might look cool but you'll make yourself stand out on the freeway. If you're lucky you'll be pulled over right away. If you're not, the cop will follow you until he's logged like 10 infractions, then he'll pull you over.
dang i hope that doesnt happen to me
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Yeah, well, it's possible that it never will. However, I've never been a big fan of standing out to highway patrol...

Lol, this coming from a guy with 4, 9" offroad lights on my roof, a big roof rack, and all tinted windows... oh well.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
189 Posts
syndicate said:
Yeah, well, it's possible that it never will. However, I've never been a big fan of standing out to highway patrol...

Lol, this coming from a guy with 4, 9" offroad lights on my roof, a big roof rack, and all tinted windows... oh well.
hehe

how dark are your windows tinted
my front is 15%
and my whole back around is 5%..
is pretty dark
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
Yea it is true, A lot of times they have better things to do, but you know the probable cause rule..... You just gave them probable cause. Not to say they will use it, but to say that with a blue light on your plate that puts you near the top of the list of people to stop. I have a scanner and I go through several states, it switches automatically to that state. So I hear what they say and the kind of things they go for. Funny colored lights, Blacked out lights, Plates not bolted to vehicle, and a broken out rear window seem to be the top stoppers. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Jang, I'm not sure what % mine are at but I just had them match the fronts as close as possible to the rear.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top