Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an OME 1.5" lift, melt mod, and 285/75/16 Hankook MT03s on stock wheels on my Pro4X. Would the MK6s cause me any issues where I would have rubbing and/or need to trim anything? From the pictures, it looks like the 0 offset sticks the wheels outboard just slightly more than OE but nothing like as much as some other wheels I've seen (I don't want wheels that stick way out).

I see that BlackoutV and one or two other guys are running the MK6 wheel w/285s but it seems like he and others have aftermarket controls arms and such so I want to see about fitment for my setup.

Thank you in advance.

John

·
Registered
527 Posts
How wide are the rims? If stock is 7.5" and they're 8.5" they would stick out exactly .5" with stock offset. Stock offset is 30. 0 offset puts the wheels out over an inch, about 1.25". The wheels will stick out 1.75" over stock if stockers are 7.5". If stock is 7" then they'll stick out 2" more. You'll most likely have issues with the front fender. Go for 12-20 offset if possible. 12 for 8", 20 for 9" is a rough guide to go by. Some guys have done negative offset but I don't know how much they hacked.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
There shouldn't be any differences in wheel fitment between stock and aftermarket control arms. All that an aftermarket UCA gets you is improved suspension clearance at the lower-most articulation point, netting more travel ... and sometimes if an alignment to factory suspension specifications is not possible with cam-bolts, the added adjustment of the aftermarket arms can allow for the adjustment to bring the specs back in line.

Gross fender interferences, though, will not be affected ... so if those guys running these wheels have stuff to say about fitment, that you like, then you're good to go. They will have less issue than the common Procomps. If I'm remembering right, from looking at the specs, the MK6s are an 8" wheel ... and yeah, what Reese said about upping the offset as much as possible (can't recall if they have multiple offsets available) is good advice for minimizing fender interference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, guys! Everything you two said makes perfect sense. So I guess my question is what wheels are 8" or 8.5" wide that have a lower offset or close to it? I do not want wheels that require fender trimming.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
As I told you before, they don't stick out any farther than if you had 1.5" wheel spacers on. I did take some pics of how much they stick out, I will upload them and post them here for you to see. Also, I think I said this before, but I DID trim my fenders. This was merely out of reading the forum, and people saying that it needed to be done. I did not try them (stock wheels w/ spacers, or the mk6's) with the fenders untrimmed so I can't comment on if they will rub stock fenders or not. I think some people get away with not trimming the fenders with 1.5" spacers though, and if they can, then whatever they had to do to not rub, you should be fine getting away with the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that info, BlackoutV. I think that I will tape some cardboard to the outside edge of my tread to simulate an extra 1.5" of width and see if I get any rubbing. I freaking love your wheels and want to make them work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr Scott - please let me know how they fit up with your 285s. My wheels should be here this week and I'm going to do a test fit first but would love to see someone else be the Guinea Pig!

Oh, and I ordered the special lugnuts from Discount because they recommended them.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Mr Scott - please let me know how they fit up with your 285s. My wheels should be here this week and I'm going to do a test fit first but would love to see someone else be the Guinea Pig!

Oh, and I ordered the special lugnuts from Discount because they recommended them.
Will do man. I plan on getting them mounted up tomorrow afternoon. There is a discount tire right down the road so I'll pick up some new lug nuts. I'll post pics here:drink:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent, thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

This is on a brand new Pro-4X with no lift and 285 AT2's with about 8k miles on them. I don't think you are getting away with not cutting.

I tried the melt mod last night and gave it all I could man. My die grinder ended up coming out and so far about 1/4" of fender has been hacked off, might need more. They do give the truck a much wider, TS look to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Man those look awesome! Thank you for the info. Would it be possible for you to get a pic or two of the trimming you've done? I want to be able to re-use the plastic inner fenders if possible and am trying to see how people are able to do that.

My MK6s showed up the other day but I won't have time to get to them on for a week or so. After seeing your pictures I can't wait!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Geez Mr Scott - you don't mess around! Brand new wheels already hitting the trails!

I am so glad I ordered the same wheels - I have a metallic green '12 Pro4x (my first xterra was silver, hence the name) and I think the wheels will look great. I hope I get some time soon to do test fit/melting/trimming.

Thank you for your help so far and I would appreciate some closeups of what you had to trim if you have a chance.

John

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be great, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any pics yet, Mr Scott? Im going to install my new wheels in the next couple of days. Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sorry man, I dropped the ball on this one. I basically took a 1/4" off from the last liner screw all the way down. After wheeling it hard this weekend, I'm going to hack some more. It rolled my fender a bit a few times at the bottom.

Depending on how you use your x and if you keep swaybars on, you might get away just a trim. Stock tires would be fine on the mk6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey no problem. I installed my MK6s this weekend and did a little trimming, too. I ended up taking probably 1/2" off the bottom of the fender plus trimmed off the piece of the inner fender that extends to the underside of the fender (if that makes any sense).

Which part of your fender are you hitting?

I'm actually getting a slight rub on some left hand turns that I think is actually the passenger side tire hitting the front of the inner fender - and I already dremmeled the shark fin off both sides. The Hankook MTs are 33.1" tall I think so a little taller than the most 285/75s which come in at just under 33".

Reactions: brokefoot

·
Registered
36 Posts
These look great on your xterra! i have a set on a 3rd gen runner. I'm debating on a different color for my 06 OR, is there anyway you can take a pic showing how far they stick out?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts