Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got the car, and because I have some large dogs that travel daily, I want to protect the rear cargo area.

My first thought was one of those cleap plastic chair mats that sit under moving computer chairs, and cut that to size....

But I am very open minded, so lets see what you've got. It needs to cover the rear area as well as the back of the seats when they are folded flat (All the time with me)...

Thanks...

·
on line
331 Posts
i bought a heavy rubber floor mat from target that has lots of rubber loops is the only way i can describe it, but i holds hair sand and dirt really well, plus it does not slide and cost $25. My big dog weighs #136 and has long hair and he does not even make it slide around.

·
on line
776 Posts
x67934 said:
i bought a heavy rubber floor mat from target that has lots of rubber loops is the only way i can describe it, but i holds hair sand and dirt really well, plus it does not slide and cost $25. My big dog weighs #136 and has long hair and he does not even make it slide around.
Sounds kinda like the mats we used in the kitchen when I was a cook!

·
on line
41 Posts
before the crash i put up some pics and description of my fix for this very thing, looks like it is gone away now, but heres a quick re.cap.
picked up a bed mat at rural king which is a large farm supply store similar to TSC or southern states (but i have also seen them at wallys and target). its not the super heavy material, maybe 1/8" thick, and it only set me back about $30. i cut two sections to fit over the seat backs, one for the trunk lid and two others to cover the anchor track to wheel well area. next step was to hold the rubber parts in place and match drill into the plastic covering, making sure not to drill into the foam when doing the seat back sections. then i used "pine tree" or "christmas tree" clips i just happen to have as anchors and pushed them thru the rubber mat into the plastic. for the side pieces i cut some metal bar long enough to lock inside the track, drilled a hole thru them and pushed the serrated clips thru the rubber mat into the metal parts holding them in place. the seats fold up and down w/o problem and unless you looked back, a passenger would never know anything was different from stock.
since my original post i have tooled around w/the puppies alot, hauled various household implements, made several home improvement supply runs, and like the way they work just fine. the downsides i have run into are lack of coverage for wheelwells, the side pieces will slide around if you drag something over them, and if you use the bed mat material make sure you wash it/wipe it down first as it put out this very strong rubber odor for quit a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts