Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Xterra PRO-4X
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to see how you all have installed your radio and antenna (cleanly) into you truck!

I just got my Ham Technician license. Ordered myself the Kenwood TM-D710G radio and Diamond antenna. Plan on using it for communications and APRS of course.

·
Banned
395 Posts
I would love to see how you all have installed your radio and antenna (cleanly) into you truck!

I just got my Ham Technician license. Ordered myself the Kenwood TM-D710G radio and Diamond antenna. Plan on using it for communications and APRS of course.
Damn that’s the radio I’ve had my eye on for a while but it’s so damn pricey!
I’d like to see how you mount it up.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I used that thread as part of my research for a cb and antenna set up. I ended up getting a President McKinley unit and mounting in the useless depression at the top middle dash.

For antenna set up I needed low profile to get in to carport. I went with a suggestion by MrBills of a Breedlove mount, going with a foldable mount. Most impressed with it, very heavy duty and he shipped it the same day I talked to him. Mounted to a ubolt setup from McMasterCarr and added a super heavy duty spring and a 4ft. Fire stick.

Up front I used a Fourtreks generic clamp with a “micro” Quickfist to hold it in place. The micro wouldn’t quite clamp on it so used another fire stick tip, cut off the end and slit it length wise. Perfect fit and doesn’t move.

.l

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
How are you guys doing in mountainous terrain when you have no line of sight with the other drivers? My hunting buddy and I got some cheaper Baofeng handhelds and they're only slightly better than a handheld CB. Yes, I know the larger firestick antennas are super helpful, but I'm curious about the line of sight issue. When we're in open terrain we can communicate quite a ways. If one of us is on the other side of a hill, or down in a ravine, we can only reach each other if we can see each other.

Curious if it's worth investing in considering I'll likely only use it 3-4 times/year.

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Banned
395 Posts
@XC20 I figure just over $450, including cb, coax with ring terminal, ground strap, clamp, Breedlove mount, spring, antenna, Fourtreks clamp/Quickfist and some misc. parts.
If you’re in the area feel free to stop by and take a look at it. Here is link to Breedlove mount:

Hey thanks for The detailed reply. And it looks like I’m not too far. I’m down near Huntington Beach. Let me know if you want to wheel sometime

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.