Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keep in mind I bought my Xterra w/ 65k miles on it, end of November and I've put a whopping 1k miles on it since then. Well I think I told you guys that I knew the engine had the whine when I bought it so I had a hunch it was going to need the timing chain. Because I got it for cheap, and it was a stealership where I didn't know the history, I decided to snag an inexpensive extended warranty through our credit union that covered a lot of stuff and was just going to use that to get the timing chain done if it needed it, and have a little piece of mind for the next 2 years.

So I took it in this morning to a reputable mechanic here in town that has great reviews and is highly recommended for the timing chain. Got the diagnosis, they called the warranty company and that's underway. I also asked him to take a quick look at the suspension for the "squirrely-ness" I've noticed lately on our rougher roads (they had nice smooth roads in the bay area where I test drove it before buying it).

Turns out the front struts/shocks whatever are completely blown and are super weak with oil leaking all over, the rear shocks are almost gone and the front swaybar bushings are shot. Since these are "wear" items, the warranty doesn't cover them. The shop said that it doesn't seem like they just blew out in a 1k miles... so not sure how the xterra made it through their "inspection" before going on the lot with a whining timing chain, bad sway bar bushings and bad shocks.

I fell like an idiot, because I researched the heck out of these and looked it over pretty decently, but I completely missed the issue that I now see on the bilsteins wearing out pretty quick on these. The weird thing is that it doesn't float or continually bounce or anything, so other than the little bit of dancing on rough pavement, I had no idea the shocks would be all worn out.

Anyways, I guess I have some reading on the forum to do now as it looks like I'll be getting to do the suspension work myself :mad: I've done some quick looking around here, doesn't seem like its as involved as doing your typical macpherson strut on a front wheel drive car or so but I could use any guidance. seems like the shocks should be under $100 a piece? I have no plans to lift it, so probably just want OE replacement that will last.

I've talked to the sales manager at the mazda dealer we bought it from, and we'll see if anything happens there, but I'm not holding my breath.

But now I'm worried about the rest of the integrity of the X... I like everything about it, but who knows what else is already wrong with it and what else that stupid dealership "overlooked". Hopefully it will be reliable after fixing these couple of issues. Seems like anytime you buy a used car, there are always a couple of bugs that somebody doesn't tend too and just wants to unload the car.

It just seems like all these dealers want the price premium that you are expected to pay to a dealer for a "reconditioned" vehicle but hardly any of them do it anymore. Just slap it on the lot and see if some sucker takes it and if they don't, off to auction it goes, no worries.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Put a parts wanted post in the appropriate forum here. People upgrade to better suspension all the time and most will be happy to sell their stock stuff real cheap just to get it out of their garage. You might easily find something with under 20,000 miles on it withing a week or 2. You may have to drive to pick it up or pay for shipping, but it may be much cheaper than buying new ones.
As for getting them installed, there is a good Nissan community in Reno that would likely be happy to help you get it installed if you don't want to do it yourself. Now, you may find that the Frontier community is bigger, but they will still be willing to help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nytkshr that's a great help and idea! I didn't even think about all the people that upgrade their stuff.

LI11X, how much you want for them? Apparently the rears aren't leaking, just weak, but the fronts are the higher priority. I'll post a request in the parts section. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
21SF: I didn't see your post when I just replied. Yeah that would be cool. How old are they? What do the spacers do?

I was just reading around on the forums too, since I don't know how long these things have been blown out for, would it be a good idea to replace the coil-over springs too in case they've been shouldering the load for a while or should they still be alright? I'll take the whole set up with springs if someone has them and then I can just swap without rebuilding the assembly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have most everything you're in need of other than the front shocks sitting in my garage. All sub 500 miles, 2013 stuff:iconbiggrin:
Really? That would be awesome! Can you PM me your phone number MR. Scott?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
21SF: I didn't see your post when I just replied. Yeah that would be cool. How old are they? What do the spacers do?

I was just reading around on the forums too, since I don't know how long these things have been blown out for, would it be a good idea to replace the coil-over springs too in case they've been shouldering the load for a while or should they still be alright? I'll take the whole set up with springs if someone has them and then I can just swap without rebuilding the assembly.
They have 75K on them but aren't leaking and gtg. The spacer will lift the front of the truck 2". You can add a leaf in the rear or get some shackles and have 2" lift all around.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Shocks dont support any weight of the vehicle, they just control or DAMPEN the spring action.. hence why they are also called dampeners.. Your springs should be fine..

·
Registered
550 Posts
go for the spacers! then an extra 50 bucks and get some 2" shackles for the back, easiest things in the world to install and bag 2 inch lift

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the offer 21SF but I think if I'm going to go through the trouble of swapping them out, i'd probably like some that are almost new, especially since mine are toast at only 66k miles.

Yeah and I don't' want to lift at all, at least for now. maybe down the road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All the suspension parts are just normal wear items I would expect to be toast on a 8 year old 65K vehicle. Shocks and Sway Bushings are usually 50-60K replacement parts anyways. Why not just use it as an opportunity to get a nice lift setup?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Indeed...great community here...always been.
Hey Nex,

We need to get a greater Montreal area group going to make our TNX more complete and if that doesn't happen maybe we can join our neighbors to the south of us, Vermont, Upper State NY, NH.
What do you think?

Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts