Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I want to see how many people would choose what.....
I am going to get a lift for the X, 2.5 in, I won't be doing any hardcore offroading, just a little on the weekends. I will be getting the 285 BF's. (yea i know I don't have to get a lift for that). Now my question is......which lift?? The ones i have in mind are the..

1. Calmini spacer kit http://www.purenissan.com/2_5_shackle_kit.htm
2. AC AAL http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html...2&ps_session=712f5a17fceff82a6cfaeea1d750122e
3. AC Shackle kit http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html...2&ps_session=712f5a17fceff82a6cfaeea1d750122e

I have heard good an bad from all of them, so I just wanted to take a vote to see which one I should go with. I did look at the sticky about lifts (VERY awesome BTW), but as I dug deeper into this decision, I kept seeing different opinions. So LET'S VOTE

G

·
0 Posts
After installing and then removing Calmini spacers with shackles (awful setup!), I opted for the AC coilovers combined with AC front coil and rear shackle. I find I have a much more firm but softer ride on the fronts (if thats such a thing). I too was like you and just wanted a simple and easy 2-3 inch lift kit, but learn from me... spend the money already on the full package: coilovers with coil and shackles for rear. If I could do it over again, I'd probably go with Radflos with TC UCA's for the fronts, but since I've already spent the money, I'll hafta stick with AC's for now and see how they hold up in the long run.

So basically my vote for now are for the AC coil and shackle combo (but don't forget the AC coilovers combined with TC UCA's) Or better yet, go with PRG's Radflo's.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I wanted to see if anyone had any "packaged" deals, like I said before, I'm not going to be screaming through trails 7 days a week, just maybe some on the weekends, plus I'm looking to spend about $350, not any more

·
on line
3,262 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea I saw that post about it snapping (that's gotta suck). That's why I started this post. So I shouldn't go with the Calmini shackle and spacer?? I know Daystar makes good stuff, but the Calmini looks a little sturdier

·
on line
631 Posts
i dont like the calmini shackles, it just does not look sturdy (no center brace for lateral movement). that and a few friends have the shackles on the 1st gen and it began to rust after installation (the powder coating chipped under the washer after being tightened down and is now peeling).
also their front spacers are aluminum. steel and aluminum dont like eachother and when they fight, steel wins.

you will probably do what most people do on the first lift: spacer and shackle or AAL. im still piecing a kit together also, and it sucks!! as of now i have top gun cuztomz front spacers (solid steel, really nice) and AC shackles ( good quality, PITA install). pieced together temp kit but daystar will work too only this route was cheaper.

but good luck with your lift, as we all know... it cost money to play

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well i forgot about the top gunz spacers. Those are supposed to be pretty thrifty. Any spacer would be good. I have the AC shackles, which are good, but the daystar shackles are greaseable so they should be considered first. But pretty much any shackle is good also.

·
on line
64 Posts
I cant understand why anyone would put a AAL on the rear. If you are not going off road, I guess it's ok.

Out here in California the dirt roads get pretty rough in spots and get a condition called "wash board" that will shake a vehicle apart.

Add a leafs make the suspension unbearably stiff, the only way to drive off road with those things installed is to airdown really low.

That's a mistake I will NEVER do again !

~Lewis

·
on line
853 Posts
ghosttownexplorer said:
I cant understand why anyone would put a AAL on the rear. If you are not going off road, I guess it's ok.

Out here in California the dirt roads get pretty rough in spots and get a condition called "wash board" that will shake a vehicle apart.

Add a leafs make the suspension unbearably stiff, the only way to drive off road with those things installed is to airdown really low.

That's a mistake I will NEVER do again !

~Lewis
I don't know if you're including something like the Deaver mini-pack in your description of an AAL, but I can tell you from recent personal experience that the Deaver works great off road in So Cal. We (SCCX) just did a 100+ mile 2-day desert trip (that's 100+ miles all off road) that included many miles of washboard roads as well as some rocky trails. With my BFG AT/ko's aired down to 20 lbs the ride was pretty nice, and no more slamming or bottoming with the Deavers in the rear (and TC UCA/Radflo's in the front).

The suspension now is far from "unbearably stiff", in fact it handles better than stock, both on and off road. And, I can now carry adequate supplies without flattening my springs.

You are cetainly right that airing down is key on washboard roads. Makes a huge difference.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is just what I needed, thanks to everyone who chimed in, but I think I'm going with the Daystar comfort ride kit (spacer and greasable shackles). It was cheaper than what I thought it would be which was good for the accountant of the family (my wife). Again, thanks for the help everyone. THIS BOARD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
An alignment is about $130 bucks at Firestone and they are liftetime.... So you could get as many as you want and they dont cost you a thing after the first one!!!

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got some time to shop around, I'm getting all of the funds together so I can get everything, and installed at once (lift, tires, alignment). First was the lift, now the tires should be coming soon :geek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts