Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
on line
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i could probably search, but i did find this on amazon

so i want to put a 40" led bar on the top front of the xterra. love the way it looks

i will not use it much, so no need to spend $$$$$ on one.

did some searching and found this one on amazon, the one on their website directly is a good bit more? idk...

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Pe...=8-1&keywords=40+led+light+bar#productDetails

and i'd have to get this to wire it up: (same one as on their site)

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wir...=1395783200&sr=8-16&keywords=40+led+light+bar

any one here have any experience with this brand? i searched and couldn't find much

reviews for it are good, and price is great for what i'll use it for

thanks for any advice

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Problem is, the amazon info is always conflicting. For example the 1st pic is a "Hanma/Totron" DC model and the 2nd 2 are "Aurora" brand although it states "Tuff Stuff."

So when they show pictures of items that you won't receive, it throws customers off. Based off the specifications that are shown it looks to be the original "Double Row" series that are only IP65 (water resistant) and that ARE NOT built with CREE leds. They will not have any screws on the face as they are not able to be dismantled.

Thing is you could go with ANY bar and be happy from the sounds of it and if they offer to warranty it for 18 months, why not right? In the meantime check the options in our online store and let me know if you're interested in any and I can see what I can do on price.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
^^Once again that is the older model that is "water resistant" and not CREE leds. In the GB that just ended the 40" DC Bars with CREE led's and that are IP67 rated were $320 shipped. My brother runs the E-store and I just offer the GB's quarterly. If you are interested in a light outside the GB just PM me and I can get you a promo code to help on the retail price as this site is why it all got started:)

Here is some more information that should help you make some informed decisions. The IP rating chart below shows how to break down the IP65 rating into 6 which "Dust Tight" and 5 which is "Protected against jets of water, limited ingress permitted" where a IP67 is submerged up to 1M for 30 minutes.

DC Series Lights w/ CREE:

Original DR Series w/ EpiStar

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
And I was not saying that Tuff Stuff is not good, I was just saying that the Amazon information is a poor description/photo representation and they lead you to believe that you are getting something that you are not.

The big "secret" is that about 70% of these lights come from the same chinese manufacturing facility and there are a handful of "distributors" like Totron that get these lights into the hands of all these retail stores that either re-brand them or sell them as is.

The issue a year or so ago was they would send out a few light bars as samples to just anyone and that caused A LOT of problems and kickback from the retail fronts because you could still get them at the wholesale price even though you were only ordering a couple lights. So they make everyone follow the Minimum Order Quantities rather than sending "samples" to eliminate any Joe Blow from from being able to order lights for their rig without the intent of selling them at the retail level.

IIRC the Aurora brand is from a old partner of Rigid and they just settled a lawsuit recently on patents and what not so that is why Aurora's are still less expensive than Rigid but look incredibly similar. Where all the other Chinese lights are practically coming from one plant.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The big "secret" is that about 70% of these lights come from the same chinese manufacturing facility and there are a handful of "distributors" like Totron that get these lights into the hands of all these retail stores that either re-brand them or sell them as is.

Where all the other Chinese lights are practically coming from one plant.
^^ THIS is what I've discovered as well.

In the local club I wheel with, people have bought everything from Rigid to the cheapest eBay LED bars they could find. I have yet to hear anyone say they didn't like what they bought. About the only complaint I've heard was regarding the finish on some of the cheaper brands not holding up. But, for some people that don't care and are willing to repaint the light bar, that issue is inconsequential.

·
on line
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^Once again that is the older model that is "water resistant" and not CREE leds. In the GB that just ended the 40" DC Bars with CREE led's and that are IP67 rated were $320 shipped. My brother runs the E-store and I just offer the GB's quarterly. If you are interested in a light outside the GB just PM me and I can get you a promo code to help on the retail price as this site is why it all got started:)

Here is some more information that should help you make some informed decisions. The IP rating chart below shows how to break down the IP65 rating into 6 which "Dust Tight" and 5 which is "Protected against jets of water, limited ingress permitted" where a IP67 is submerged up to 1M for 30 minutes.

DC Series Lights w/ CREE:

Original DR Series w/ EpiStar
awesome. thanks for that! good info to have/know
i'm going to decide what i'm gonna do here shortly

will let you know

·
Registered
583 Posts
^^ THIS is what I've discovered as well.

In the local club I wheel with, people have bought everything from Rigid to the cheapest eBay LED bars they could find. I have yet to hear anyone say they didn't like what they bought. About the only complaint I've heard was regarding the finish on some of the cheaper brands not holding up. But, for some people that don't care and are willing to repaint the light bar, that issue is inconsequential.
The older Totron bars would fade to a bronzish color after awhile, but a simple paint job can fix that. Anyways, they've fixed that now, so unless people still have those old bars in stock, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
For my needs, I honestly don't need a big name brand. I would rarely use the lights as it is so they would probably last me a lifetime. I did find this one browsing eBay...
40" 240W Curved LED Bar

Of course, the pictures say 42" but the add says 40" so not sure on the exact size lol. It also doesn't show what Lumens they are or the dimensions of the bar.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yea, I haven't seen anyone with a curved bar yet so I'm not sure how it would look...

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i am more than happy with all of my totron lights. even the one that leaked. NYX gave me GREAT customer service for it. I have 5 light bars now. 2 20"s, 2 6"s, and a 40" on the roof

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
You get a shot of your 40" totron mounted in the factory roof mounts? I'm fixing to order a Totron bar. I'm assuming you had to get longer roof bolts?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts