Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and did not see any other posts about LED bulbs not fitting in the tag lights.

Last fall when JLC lighting had their deal on the 5W Cree reverse bulbs I also I bought a set of amber LED bulbs for the front markers and some white LEDs that they had listed for the License plate lights. Problem was when I attempted to install them they were just a little too long to fit in the lamp and twist the connector on.

These bulbs are just under 1.2” long.

I set them aside and didn’t give it much thought till I found both of the amber bulbs had some LEDs failing on them a few weeks ago when I took the headlights out to paint them.

Looked on eBay for a different style of SMD LED bulb that was shorter to replace the bulbs with and found these that were 10 SMD and only ¾” long. $4.57 for the pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350780375212

From the listing

They put out a nice bright white, not blue like many other white LEDs

Also bought a pair in amber to replace the front markers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190830897886

So for anyone else that has bought the 5 sided LED bulbs and not been able to use them or anyone thinking of buying them for this application, I hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
LED plate bulbs

Hey there, My 2005 X has one of the back lights burnt out and it's annoying me like you won't believe. I wanted to replace them with LED's.. went to a shop, and was told that they may have to take the bumper off to get at them.. WHAT ?? Seem's like a scam ...

How can I get at the bulbs and maybe try to change them myself ?? I'm no expert, but I can give it a go to save on the cash...

Thanks,
Tiz

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
For the tail lights, there's only 3 10mm bolts on each light. They are idiots if they said they had to take the bumper off. Open the hatch and you will see them.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can I get at the bulbs and maybe try to change them myself ?? I'm no expert, but I can give it a go to save on the cash...
Reach in behind bumper and push on tab in the direction of the arrow. The housing should pop out.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Sadly I have no idea how to get the old bulbs out of the rubber housing after I removed it from the bumper bracket. Any ideas?

Go back and look at the post "YOU" created. It might just have the answers the seek. Someone's not going to mysteriously show up at your home in the wee hours of the night like a Keebler elf and change them for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
615 Posts
One word of caution on these. I bought some LED license plate bulbs, and due to the location, the electronics corroded after a year or so. I went back to regular bulbs.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
One word of caution on these. I bought some LED license plate bulbs, and due to the location, the electronics corroded after a year or so. I went back to regular bulbs.
same here. I've been through 3 sets of led bulbs now due to corrosion.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Wow, Is it due to salt roads? Doesn't snow where I live. Or is it just bound to happen no matter what?
pretty much. they salt and put down road chemicals everything pretty heavily here. it just eats the circuitry.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have had no issue with the ones I bought from VLEDS other than the first ones I tried were too long and wouldn't fit. Had these for almost 2 years.

·
Registered
2010 X Off-Road
8 Posts

I have replaced EVERY bulb in my Xterra (inside and out) with the equivalent sizes from these folks. Cheap prices, good selections, and they ship pretty damn fast (2-3 days). I've also replaced everything in our 2006 Jetta and it looks like a new car, light-wise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts