Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I'll admit it - I'm an LED junkie. No denial here. I've got more LED flashlights than I can count, LED lanterns, LED night lights, 48 and 60 LED lamps in the house and LEDs all over the Z.

I've been in search of a festoon light to replace the ones in the X but haven't been able to find any that put out enough light. I want the LED as they're much more power efficient but up until now I haven't been happy with the light.

Left to right - the stock festoon, six 5 mm LED, 12 LED, and finally the 2 high power LED bulbs.

The latest attempt to satisfy my addiction is the high power LED festoon bulb from www.SuperBrightLEDs.com. If we had bigger festoon mounts you could fit the 3 or even the 6 LED models in there but we have the tiny 31 x 10 mm mounts meaning only the lower powered 2 LED models will fit. Item 3022-WHP2 at $6.95 each - yupp $14 a pair for a set of lights. LED is one hell of a drug. Hang in there, you ain't seen nothing yet.

These guys are quality and have a little driver circuit on them.

These guys draw 46 mA where the stock bulbs draw 670 mA - now double that for when both lights are on. These guys put out 24 lumen in a 120 degree pattern. The color temperature is a nice warm 7000 Kelvin which is a much more kind light then the yellow-orange of the stock bulb.

These guys drop right in and put out a bunch of light. It's hard to tell in the photo but I'd judge these things to be just about equal to the stock lights. The light is clean and soft.

The center and rear lights are much bigger housing with one disappointing festoon light. The area is big enough to house an LED assembly. SuperBrightLED's has some assemblies with the same high power LEDs but in an array of 9. No festoon bulb interface but a bit of soldiering on a burned out donor bulb and I have the proper connections. Item 1156-PCB-WHP9 draws 200 mA, and buts out a huge 120 lumens in the same 7000 degree Kelvin temperature. These things are super bright. You could almost use them as rock lights with a suitable rugged housing.

The tape is holding the very thin assembly in place while the rubber glue drys.

It's really hard to take a photo of these things when they're on as they're so bright.

For the rear festoon I'm looking to get a nice red LED that's actually bright enough to be useful but not ruin your night vision. I still have the "porch light" back on the rear door - no damage in several off road trips.

Oh, the best for last - those 9 LED assemblies are $21.95 each and still require some skills to get them to work. How do I justify this addiction to myself ... a few years ago I was camping way out in the desert and the rear hatch to my SUV didn't close all the way. Two days later when we went to go home the battery was dead as a door nail. I found a person on a dirt bike who was nice enough to get his truck out and return to give me a jump. Since then I've been twice worried about losing power again.

·
on line
432 Posts
I just got my festoons from SuperBrightLEDs delivered yesterday and I'm gonna put them in tonight. I do love LEDs as well but I haven't yet started a huge collection of them.

- Russell

·
on line
1,054 Posts
sexterra has these done in his X and i have to say they are damn bright, i've been debating doing this mod my ownself.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Here's my version of LEDs inside. Total of approx 120 white LEDs.
60 in front(~30 per map light), 30 in the middle and 30 in the back. I wired up the back one to turn on with the doors also instead of just the hatch only. It is damn bright. Total cost under $20.

·
on line
853 Posts
PacificaX had a few extra red LED bulbs that we put into my truck, we did all but one of the front map lights. They are actually fairly low powered, but I prefer that. When camping I sleep in the back of the X and like the idea that I won't turn it into a fishbowl by turning on the center dome light. There is just enough light to find what I am looking for without losing night vision or attracting a lot of attention. We can turn them on while driving with no loss of vision, but with enough light to find things.

Sorry, no pics yet.

·
on line
432 Posts
The festoons I got from SuperBrightLEDs do not seem to be.... bright. They are the 9-LED lights but the stock lights are noticeably brighter. Argh!

I love the color of them but I need more light. :(

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have been running red LED's from SuperBrightLED's for about a year now. About 3 months ago I had two of the lights quit working. I have not looked into the problem yet, but it shocked me.

·
on line
432 Posts
I had to put the stock lights back in. The LEDs from SuperBright were simply not bright. I'll have to make my own I guess.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RussellB said:
I had to put the stock lights back in. The LEDs from SuperBright were simply not bright. I'll have to make my own I guess.
Did you try these new high-power ones - they blow the other two models I've tried out of the water.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Since I wanted red lights, and superbright didn't have them when I ordered my original lights a year ago, I picked up two of those Universal Kits. See if I can get more light to the center dome light and the cargo area dome light.

·
on line
432 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
RussellB said:
Did you try these new high-power ones - they blow the other two models I've tried out of the water.
I just got them last week. I didn't see any brighter version of them?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RussellB said:
I just got them last week. I didn't see any brighter version of them?
Did they look like the ones on the right in my first picture? 120 lumens is as bright as the 9V "combat" lights that Surefire sells - lots of light.

·
on line
841 Posts
I have two types of LEDs inside my car now. One is the 2-LED like the rightmost in the OP and another is a single LED that is supposedly 1W. Both are festoons that are easy to replace, no extra work required. Either one is definitely brighter than the stock lights. I can post pictures for those interested.

·
on line
2,505 Posts
definately interested in all pics....shopping around for LEDs currently. does anyone know how the amber ones look? i'd like a more yellow version of a light than a white light.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts