Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'd like to replace my plastic steering wheel on my 2011 X with a black leather steering wheel. Besides the dealer does anyone have one or know a good place to get one? Thanks

Dave

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Don't know of any black leather options. There are a few stock colors, graphite is as close to black as it comes, but no black. Due to complications with having an airbag you are stuck using a stock steering wheel. Either new or junkyard are the only 2 options.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Dealer is about $430 for just the wheel. eBay they are around 150 – 200 some new some from salvage. 05-08 will have black stitching, 09-12 red stitching, 13 white stitching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I want to replace it is because the plastic one is so slippery and the leather one will grip a little better and I don't want a cover.

Dave

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Alternatively you could find a custom upholstery shop in your area. Where I live (in CT) there’s a place called “Redan” that does great automotive upholstery custom work. I’ve had them do motorcycle seats, but I have seen them do full car interior, doors, steering wheel, etc.

If you’ve got something like that in your area, might be worth a look.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
i think a better and cheaper option would be....

http://www.wheelskinscover.com/?Click=24&gclid=CLSB8obQxrsCFWQOOgodW30AnQ

you can custom order how you want it.
The problem with wheel skins is that in the Xterra it has fitment issues. The edge on the bottom spoke doesn't go all the way up like Nissan intended. It leaves a weird edge that looks terrible.

I was going to go that route till I saw a members ride with wheel skin installed and I was very disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
58 Posts
Check ebay for a new or used Pathfinder Steering wheel? I've seen them listed for under $200. Check CL and local scrap yard for a Pathfinder or late model X/ Frontier being parted out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
437 Posts
I picked up a new one on ebay for just over $200. The pinouts on the electrical connecters vary for different models and years so be sure to check they match when installing if you get one with switches pre-installed. I had to transfer over my old switches to get cruise to work.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Check ebay for a new or used Pathfinder Steering wheel? I've seen them listed for under $200. Check CL and local scrap yard for a Pathfinder or late model X/ Frontier being parted out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
THIS. pathy's use the same steering wheel and they have a black leather one.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
yes, but check the pin outs on the plugs before installing.
what he said!

the pin outs will be different, but the cool thing is that with this steering wheel, you'll gain light up switches on the wheel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the pin outs aren't the same then I need to transfer my old controls? Otherwise it will still work. Correct?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
If the pin outs aren't the same then I need to transfer my old controls? Otherwise it will still work. Correct?
yeah, if you swap out your old controls, it should work fine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts