Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not ready to drop the coin on a shrock and winch combo. I just can't justify the expense right now. That said I'd really like to get a winch on the front because I tend to get myself into trouble from time to time. I'd rather not bother with trying to find someone to fab a mount for me though. I'm really looking for something of a more bolt-on nature. So what do you folks suggest for someone who wants a solid, bolt-on winch mount?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: If you've got a trailer hitch, mount the winch on a 2" hitch (step) (www.etrailer.com) and you can get various size winches !!!

--

--Course, I use mine for the trailer, but !

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Jimbo, I'm really looking for something that I can permanantly mount on the front of the truck. Ideally I'd get some sort of safari / bull bar with a winch mount. Everything that I've seen so far that isn't too ghetto involves spending ~$800 and replacing the front bumper though.

·
on line
735 Posts
somebody here made a post in 2006 showing his home-built mount. He just carved a square for the roller fairlead out of the stock bumper and the rest of the square plate and tube frame was hidden behind the grey plastic bumper cover for the most part. The mount probably only weighed 25-30 lbs (much lighter than a shrock/ ARB type bumper).

·
on line
564 Posts
mudpuppy000 said:
Yup, I've got one of these in my overhead compartment. Should do the trick in a pinch. Of course you'd probably have to attach a couple of tow straps together to make it work.

Or you can buy a black rat manual winch or get a winch kit for you Hi-Lift.

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/c=3ykauO5zPKlmpCbONCqePQTVh/category/wincheshand

Rob

·
on line
1,695 Posts
If you aren't willing to have any custom fab work done, you are pretty much out of luck. The least expensive bumper option is the Calmini, but that is still gonna set you back $800 by the time you get it. Calmini and Shrock are your only options for off-the-shelf, bolt on winch mounts currently.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
"Should do the trick in a pinch. "
But it won't. I challenge you to go stick your truck in some mud, andt try to pull it out using that. Not gonna' happen.

·
on line
564 Posts
DBAX said:
"Should do the trick in a pinch. "
But it won't. I challenge you to go stick your truck in some mud, andt try to pull it out using that. Not gonna' happen.
I don't see why not, but you may be right. I'll let you know if I ever have to try.

Rob

·
on line
254 Posts
I’ve done more than a few that were buried well into the frame with a come along Or more accurately let the owner do it using my gear, it is a hell of a lot of work.

Took the PTO winch off my FJ55 after a couple of years because I never wanted to go forward deeper into anything I was stuck in and the added weight didn’t help in daily driving. On the other hand as long as you’re not the vehicle that is stuck a winch makes a great recovery vehicle for someone else. I’ve had the front buried so deep in my trucks before that a winch wouldn’t work. Not the X yet- been close, maybe wisdom does come with age. But this topic is debated around campfires probably as much as 7.5 vs. 8’s in the clubhouse at a trapshoot.

The cheap made in China stamped junk isn’t going to cut it. I wouldn’t even try to pull a calf in a breached birth with one of those. The load rating on most come alongs is for rolling load not dead weight. Plus they use the block and tackle capacity with the hook doubled back on itself as a load rating which isn’t even close.

I have 2 older solid come-alongs but if I had to get a new one I’d get a Wyeth Scott (sp?). The USFS uses them, or used to. You want as much cable as you can carry it would be rare to have too much. A snatch block works on a come-along as well as a winch so you can pull 8 or more tons. Remember you are doing the pulling, a 4 foot cheater bar pipe to slip over the handle will go a long ways to ease the pain you’re going to feel the next day.

Every time you use the mechanical advantage of pulleys it decreases your travel in half, at times you’ll swear the damn thing isn’t even moving. But for the few times you use them they are worth their weight in gold.

·
on line
379 Posts
Ive watched the fitters at work moving 10,000lb heat exchangers with come alongs. I would think it would work but depending on how you are stuck that initial force to get the truck moving would make me nervous.

·
on line
90 Posts
I have used a Come-Along to help winch out a good friend (otherwise I would have watched and laughed) who BURIED his Avalanche...I may even have pictures. His tires were not at all visible...mud to his fenders. It took us about two hours though, so I'm not sure that I would call it "in a pinch".

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Yea Irish, you otta see it with the queen size (inflaiable) bed and bright red nylon sleeping bags in there--

--Course my wife loves me !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
102 Posts
Cruiser said:
So I'm not ready to drop the coin on a Shrockworks and winch combo. I just can't justify the expense right now. That said I'd really like to get a winch on the front because I tend to get myself into trouble from time to time. I'd rather not bother with trying to find someone to fab a mount for me though. I'm really looking for something of a more bolt-on nature. So what do you folks suggest for someone who wants a solid, bolt-on winch mount?

·
on line
2,004 Posts
txelen said:
Cruiser said:
So I'm not ready to drop the coin on a Shrockworks and winch combo. I just can't justify the expense right now. That said I'd really like to get a winch on the front because I tend to get myself into trouble from time to time. I'd rather not bother with trying to find someone to fab a mount for me though. I'm really looking for something of a more bolt-on nature. So what do you folks suggest for someone who wants a solid, bolt-on winch mount?

or don't put urself in a bad position?

·
on line
108 Posts
I have used a high lift jack and a come along together back in the day to pull out a dodge power wagon stuck in a nasty rut to the frame on a hill climb a lot of work but it worked.

·
on line
108 Posts
My wife bought me a winch but it is only a 2 ton or 4000LBs Sam's club special. So i have not done anything with it but I still might. Remember the ton rating is only for the first so many feet then it degrades the farther out you go.I think the 2 ton I have at 15' is 950lbs pull rate. But hey it might help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts