Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05' has 55k on it and I decided to do the 60k service on it early as I am taking it on a 2,000 mile trip over the week of Labor Day. Took it to my local trusted mechanic to put all Amsoil Synthetics across the rear diff, center diff, front diff, manual tranny and to redo the long life radiator fluid. Mechanic gets under the car and both rear and center are leaking badly. Luckily the aftermarket warranty I bought is going to pay for both, the rear is over $800 and center $450. This seems very odd as the truck has low miles, but warranty is paying and my mechanic wouldn't make me fix something that wasn't broke.

Of course they didn't trust him and they sent an adjuster out who agreed with diagnosis....just seems weird, my 84' Nissan 300ZX rear diff has NEVER EVER leaked in 29 years.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wait your truck has three axles?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Would your mechanic make you fix something that wasn't their, center diff, WTF:scratch: Just kidding, I heard of the rear leaking, but not the front, and both at the same time is just bad luck! Something for me to look forward to, I'm at just about 54K now!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
my of has 68K on her.... no major leaks like that.. but i did have a head gasket that needed to get replaced at 42K. so anything is possible i guess!

·
on line
1,113 Posts
107,000 never had a leak anywhere. Did they say where it was leaking from for low mileage like yours shes not even broken in yet :). Maybe the axle seals dried out from sitting? Glad its covered under warranty though.

·
on line
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, I paid 1750 for the warranty and now I have cashed in more than 4k on the thing. I was really surprised but I know the mechanic wasn't lying as the insurance guy came to check it out, so better now than in May of next year when the warranty is over.

I have 3 cars (not including the wifes Leaf) so the X only gets limited driving....but I am very surprised at this one. Just was wondering if anybody else had it, sounds like nobody does.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
the rear is over $800 and center $450.
Hahahaha wow, glad you have an aftermarket warranty that is actually working but this is outrageous!! Unless I'm confused about what is actually leaking. "Center Diff" meaning your transfer case? Rear axle meaning pinion seal, axle seals, diff cover seeping?

You need to drive it more. You will probably have more problems from it sitting so much
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Absolutely correct. Even if it's just to take it around the block to run some fluids, you are better off than just letting it sit.

·
on line
951 Posts
I'm at 170k and the only thing that leaks is the rear axle seals. And I'm on my 3rd axle, so this is getting a bit old.

·
on line
612 Posts
I'm at 170k and the only thing that leaks is the rear axle seals. And I'm on my 3rd axle, so this is getting a bit old.
Check and clean your diff breather... Or better yet, do the diff breather mod. I recently had an axle seal leak and it probably could've been avoided if I had done the breather mod sooner.

Mobile Post...

·
on line
951 Posts
Done that after both axle swaps. The seals do wear out, and I drive on a lot of dirt roads. And some that are worse. Ok, maybe horrible might be a better description.

·
on line
612 Posts
I'm only on my first blown seal last month and I'm at 214k. Guess I just don't put my X on enough dirt roads... But I'm working on changing that ;)

Mobile Post...

·
on line
951 Posts
Might also have to do with towing the snowmobile trailer fully loaded at 80mph too. Thing weighs 4500# fully loaded and it's 27 feet long. People to tend to get out of the way on the highway too.

·
on line
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right I should drive it more and all the comments about the terminology were correct. But the repairs were all done and the mechanic told me the center and rear pinions didn't have seals, it was metal agaist metal so maybe my lack of driving did it. But than again my 84' Nissan 300ZX has 165k on it and my 97' Q45 has 100k so it is a challenge to drive more and neither the Z or no Q have ever leaked.

As for the prices, I live in the Bay Area where my local guy charges 88 per hour the Nissan stealership charges 150....so cannot compare to other parts of the country.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts