Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am leaking some tranny fluid. It is coming from directly in front of the transfer case, but NOT the case itself. There is a part in front of it, with a round gold piece on it. And the fluid is dripping from there. Not exactly sure when it started, but I just noticed it today, as I was installing my lift kit. The guy helping me said that it *appeared* to be just a seal, but has never worked with Xterras before, so wasn't 100% sure. He said to keep an eye on my tranny fluid...which I have no clue how to do. I did not see a dip stick for the transmision under the hood, where I would think that it would be. So...how do I check my tranny fluid? And...has anyone else had this problem before, or may have an idea as to what I am describing. Warranty is expired, too, so this one is coming out of the wallet. Help...please?

·
on line
376 Posts
The dipstick is on the left side of the engine bay. It will be a black cap w/ a bolt holding it on. Unscrew that bolt and you can pull the dipstick to check the level.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
FYI, when referring to the left side or right side of a vehicle, it is always from the viewpoint of the front seat of the cab.

That being said, the transmission dipstick is on the right (passenger's) side of the engine compartment towards the firewall. You will need a 10mm socket to unscrew the bolt that holds the dipstick in place. Be sure to grab the washer underneath the bolt when removing it.

You should check the fluid on level ground, in park, after it has warmed up. To warm the transmission fluid up, drive the X for several miles.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the tranny fluid today. Not low at all. In fact, it is still pretty full, which boggled my mind. It has leaked a considerable amount, to me. I drove it for a few minutes, then checked it. Good to go. I got back under the X and from what I can tell, there is a piece that is in between the drive shaft and the transfer case, on the fron of the case. That is where the fluid is leaking from. It appears to be a seal, but I am not a mechanic, so I am not 100% sure. Sucks, either way.

*EDIT with pictures*

Here is what is leaking...my terminology is a little weak, so bare with me...the gold circular piece, kind of diagonal down/right from the gold bolt in the center of the picture. You can see a little bead of fluid right there. That is where it is coming from. It just builds up right there and then drips down. Nowhere else, which leads me to believe that it is a seal.

Another shot...can't see the fluid bead here...but it is that piece directly in the middle of the picture.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, just got the X back from the stealership and found out that it wasn't a seal afterall. IT IS THE TRANSFER CASE! The entire thing needs to be replaced. Huh? Do these t-cases go bad after 2 years (43,000) miles? I mean, I have never done any "serious" wheeling, so I don't think that I messed it up. And the guy that owned it originally was old. So, he didn't mess it up. Well, nonetheless, they are taking her in early Monday morning and going to spend all day replacing the transfer case. And...it IS under the powertrain warranty. So, no worries for me. They even included the diagnostics fee with that. So, I didn't pay them a single red cent. YAY!

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
special shout-out to [email protected] Hill Nissan & [email protected] Parts Nissan

I wanted to re-bump this three year old thread as I just found this problem under my X last night :( It looks/sounds identical to what i've got. I've already PM'd 1_BAMF_X about his experience & all, but wanted to see if anyone else has any info on this. I found it last night as I was PB-blastin' the rear U-bolts to prep for an AAL install tonight.

I've got an '05 SE, and contacted Nissan to find out when my powertrain warranty expires (as i'm at 44K miles), and lucky for me, I've got one more month (July 18), so I wanna get this fixed ASAP. I spoke with a tech & told him what was going on, and he was like "It sounds like a leak problem, which isn't covered under warranty" (i'm thinking "WTF??!"). I said that I've read about other people w/ the same problem (on this forum), and it turned out to be an issue w/ the T-case itself...not just a leak problem. I also mentioned that I have a 2" lift on my truck (well...after tonight I will! Spacer/AAL lift), and he said right-off-the-bat "I can tell ya now that it won't be covered under warranty cause of the lift". I told him that how can the warranty be void as the lift doesn't affect the T-case & front driveshaft angles or anything like that. He just said along the lines of "That's all I can say...the tech will look at it, take note of the lift, & will say if it were eligible for warranty, it won't be. But you can bring it in & we can see". I really don't want to take the lift off to get this fix (but would if I absolutely have to in order to get it fixed...& would take it to a different dealership so they didn't know it had a lift ;))

Does anyone know if this would or would not be covered as a warranty repair with the lift in place? Gonna give a shout out specifically to Brian @ Cherry Hill Nissan also - would you happen to know as you work for a dealership? (btw...i'm gonna shoot ya a message sometime during the summer about ordering enough Matic S to do my ATF flush ;) )

*EDIT*
also a shout-out to Steve @ Courtesy Nissan with the same question...I just remembered that you recently became a supporting vendor on this site...sorry! ;)

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

You hit it right on the head when you questioned how the spacer lift could possibly affect the front propellor shaft, seal or case on the transfer case. They have to prove that the modification caused the problem, not rule out the warranty fix simply because it had a modification done on an unrelated component.

The tech is simply a trained wrench monkey, not a qualified engineer. The answer is that since both the transfer case and the front differential are mounted to the frame of the vehicle and thus don't move in relation to either other other, there is no change in the angle of the front propeller shaft and thus the lift could not possible affect its performance. Further, that same lift in no way can transmit any new or unanalyzed force or torque to the front propellor shaft and transfer case.

·
on line
879 Posts
I had to take in my Xterra in Nov of last year when I noticed the rear diff leaking while replacing my u-joints. At the time, my X was completely stock. A month or two after they replaced it, it leaked again, and the rear pinion seal was replaced for the second time, RIGHT before my 5yr/60k was up.

A month later, I noticed the rear pinion seal leaking, YET AGAIN. I was definitely out of the 5yr by a month, and was a little over 60k. Dealership ended up replacing the entire rear assembly (rear diff, axle, and all) and the service advisor told me they had to, because I had brought it in 2 times before, while it was still under warranty, and it was the same exact issue again.

Before the rear diff issue, I was having really rough shifting and my transmission ended up going into "fail safe" mode, where it was literally stuck in 3rd gear, no matter how fast I was going. This was while I was still under 5yr/60k, and I had sliders, bigger tires, and volant cai. The transmission issue threw a SES light, and when the service advisor noticed I had a cai (he specifically asked about any modifications), he said that he recommended me putting the stock airbox back in, "so there wouldn't be any issues".

At the time, I didn't really care. I figured it would be $5,000+ for a tranny replacement, or drive back home (I had my girl's car), grab the stock airbox, drive back and swap it out. So I went home, grabbed it and swapped it right back out in the dealership parking lot. They didn't care, and ended up replacing the tranny under the warranty as well.

I know the cai had NOTHING to do with it, but didn't want any issues whatsoever. Plus, I didn't feel like arguing.

Good luck....but honestly I know your probably nervous/stressed out and all, but I wouldn't have flat out offered that information about the lift, unless they came back and specifically asked you (as in my case).

·
on line
288 Posts
I wanted to re-bump this three year old thread as I just found this problem under my X last night
You my friend use the search function like a CHAMPION:cheers:

As for the rig, take it in, if they say the lift caused it, tell the service manager to have the technician come out and show you exactly how the lift caused it.....Most likely wont happen.

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

You hit it right on the head when you questioned how the spacer lift could possibly affect the front propellor shaft, seal or case on the transfer case. They have to prove that the modification caused the problem, not rule out the warranty fix simply because it had a modification done on an unrelated component.

The tech is simply a trained wrench monkey, not a qualified engineer. The answer is that since both the transfer case and the front differential are mounted to the frame of the vehicle and thus don't move in relation to either other other, there is no change in the angle of the front propeller shaft and thus the lift could not possible affect its performance. Further, that same lift in no way can transmit any new or unanalyzed force or torque to the front propellor shaft and transfer case.
Thanks for that link to the Warranty Act! One of the guys on here (getdamafiaonyou) was helping me w/ my lift tonight & mentioned there was some kind of federal law that says they gotta prove the lift caused the leak (even though the lift just got put on tonight & I noticed it beforehand).

Um, why did you even tell them about the lift? Why call nissan? Go to the dealership where you bought the thing and tell them to fix it.
I told them about the lift cause it's kinda obvious, & they're gonna see it as soon it's brought in....so what's the difference? Plus...like I said...the lift went on tonight...I called them this afternoon saying the truck has a lift (as it'll have it when it's brought in). Of course I'm gonna tell them that the lift went on after I noticed the problem, but being a dealership & all, I can see them saying yeah, sure you noticed it after the lift....prove it. I got the delivery info that the lift was delivered this afternoon, so there's my proof if they question my claim as to when I noticed it.

I had to call a nissan dealership cause I wanted to see if my truck fell w/in the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty (my mileage is at 44K, so that's fine...but it's an '05, so I wanted to know if I had any time left on the 5yr portion of the period). I can't take it back to the dealership I got it from cause that dealership's in WV, and I'm 3 hrs away in NC....that ain't gonna happen ;)

But with his arrogant answers about it not being under warranty, I'm gonna go find a different nissan dealership & start all over w/ them....in person, rather than on the phone.

You my friend use the search function like a CHAMPION:cheers:

As for the rig, take it in, if they say the lift caused it, tell the service manager to have the technician come out and show you exactly how the lift caused it.....Most likely wont happen.
haha...thanks! :headbang: it actually showed up when I was looking up t-case fluids to use ;-) I saw several T-case leaking threads, & this one had the pictures which looked identical to my problem ;-)

so, yeah, I'm gonna fight this one tooth & nail...it's worth it so I can get this thing fixed! *fingers crossed* it goes smoother than i'm anticipating

·
on line
7,142 Posts
So take your fricking lift off before you take it in. WTBFD?

·
on line
288 Posts
I find it funny now that when you Google WTBFD, this thread is the 3rd link.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Alright, I have this leak now. I just had the rear diff pinion seal replaced a couple of weeks ago, the front diff replaced a couple of months before that, and the rear u-joints replaced a little before that. Please tell me this is just another seal that I have wheeled to death, and can replace on the cheap. If this is truly a TC replace issue, then I am done with this truck, it's destined for trade in. Also, will the 4x4 light come on if the TC gets too low on fluid? I'm not sure of my rate of leakage. :rant:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts