Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a concern and I'm not sure if its a big deal or not. My rear diff has an oily like substance around the bottom edge and partially up the sides. Now if lets say the diff was empty, I'd see a warning light right? I mean there are 2 elec plugs that hook into it and I'm assuming one is for the locker and the one is some sort of a sensor. I've looked at the edges of the diff and I don't see anything that stands out as a spot that has been bent or tweaked so should I be worried? Is there an easy way to check the fluid level? What is considered full as far as how much to put in a diff?

Sorry for the questions as I'm not a very technical guy. Thanks in advance.

·
on line
122 Posts
1. Not sure about the warning light thing but I can tell you what you are seeing sounds just like wicking. This happens with rear diffs all the time. It really isn't a concern.

2. To check the level of the diff you need to remove the fill plug. Stick your finger in the hole. There should be liquid right up to the fill hole. This is how I was taught to check it years ago.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
As long as there is no drip or puddle on the driveway / wherever you park the X I agree with Scott, it's probably just wicking. Although wicking from the sides of the cover means that the seal has been broken - maybe if you scraped the cover it broke the seal but didn't bend an edge, wicking normally occurs around the drain plug.

When I peeled mine back I had a drip and a puddle :(

·
on line
1,114 Posts
If you're concerned about it, pop the drain plug and drain out the lube. Then remove the cover and repair any nicks and dings. Thoroughly clean off the sealant from the axle and the cover. Apply new RTV sealant and put the cover back on. Torqued down to spec and let it sit overnight. In the morning, fill up the pumpkin with the new gear lube.

Now, you've got new lube in the pumpkin, you've repaired the cover and you've got no more leaking.

:cheers:

·
on line
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8th Man said:
If you're concerned about it, pop the drain plug and drain out the lube. Then remove the cover and repair any nicks and dings. Thoroughly clean off the sealant from the axle and the cover. Apply new RTV sealant and put the cover back on. Torqued down to spec and let it sit overnight. In the morning, fill up the pumpkin with the new gear lube.

Now, you've got new lube in the pumpkin, you've repaired the cover and you've got no more leaking.

:cheers:
I make sure nothings really wrong, I might do this next weekend when I actually have time to let it sit over night.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts