Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone so I recently got my Xterra its a used one so I knew there will be some problem with it.. and it is leaking oil from somewhere... as of now it looks like from 2 places
one is somewhere around the oil filter.. could it be just from oil filter it self.. ? I try to check it.. but it seems to be tight.. has anyone seen or know about this where it could be coming from ?

and second place is is one of those rubber tubes that comes from the left side.. and going up to the radiator ( looks like ) where its interconnected with another rubber tube its leaking from there perhaps its just one of those metal claps that is making it tight.. went bad..

P.S is there any guides on how to do the radiator oil cooling bypass ?

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
The stock radiator incorporates a transmission fluid cooler, not oil.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
on line
136 Posts
Typically with that much oil built up you want to clean all of it off completely and then check it after driving so you can see where the leak originated. The leak on the hose (the green stuff) is coolant. It's dripping down from above (you can see a drop of it on your pulley). You will need to check your coolant hoses at the top of the engine and see if you have a leak in a hose, or a bad clamp, or a leak in your radiator. Again, clean the fluid off and then check it after a little driving to see where it is coming from.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh for the cooling I should have said that I spilled it.. so ignor that..
and as to the oil.. i see the drops of oil build up at the lower part under the oil filter and then it drips on the cardboard that I put under the car

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
It sounds like the oil cooler o ring. Tons of info here if you search. Easy job next time you change the oil.
Just fyi. When I did mine, it then started leaking from the oil filter gasket. My PVC valve was clogged and creating extra pressure in the engine. Replaced it and all good.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
yes his is pretty common for the oil gasket to leak at the filter/ cooling housing, no biggie!

also check that PCV valve as well, its cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep, just had that done a couple of months ago!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had this problem fixed when my X went to the dealer to have an airbag replaced- It could possibly be an Oil Cooler O-Ring. If not, then it is the Oil Filter Gasket. Both parts are pretty inexpensive, but higher mileage Xterras are known to do this. At first I thought it was a valve cover gasket. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thank you so much everyone ! will take a look into it
I wonder should I fix it myself or take it to a mechanic.. wonder how much they will charge..
also I need to do a radiator bypass at the same time

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
ok thank you so much everyone ! will take a look into it
I wonder should I fix it myself or take it to a mechanic.. wonder how much they will charge..
also I need to do a radiator bypass at the same time
Nissan wanted like almost $200 bucks to fix my oil cooler leak. I did it for the $4 or whatever the o ring costs.

If you have ever changed oil, this is like 1.5 times harder than that, you can do this as well as the bypass. just to alittle research on this site and youtube.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, dealer gauged me on it too. A reputable mechanic might do it cheaper.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I was looking online and on youtube how to change it ... its very easy .. all I need at the end is the Torque Wrench to aptly the right amount of ft per lb
I am very hand y with stuff and do about anything so that dont' scare me getting my hands dirty .. just gotta fallow the right steps ))

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yes I was looking online and on youtube how to change it ... its very easy .. all I need at the end is the Torque Wrench to aptly the right amount of ft per lb
I am very hand y with stuff and do about anything so that dont' scare me getting my hands dirty .. just gotta fallow the right steps ))

I dont have a torque wrench and managed it fine.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
that should be fine, however check with a local nissan dealer. i want to say i got a factory oem one from them for like $5 from the parts dept locally.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X 6MT
53 Posts
If the gasket on the oil cooler is orange that’s the old style. The new one from the dealer is black and lasts longer. Easy fix. I think it’s a 22mm socket to remove the oil cooler. You don’t need to remove the coolant lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts