Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I think I ran over something because there is a small gash in the front passenger cv boot. The boot clamp is also slightly dented. When changing the oil today i noticed that grease had sprayed all over my LCA. How much do cv shafts run for? Does anyone know if this will damage only the CV of the front diff!?!? thanks guys.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Eventually the grease will all sling out, and when the joint becomes dry, it will begin to fail. By cv. Axles are relatively cheap. The can be found as low as $50-75 (with core exchange) and can bout bought at most auto parts stores.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
275 Posts
Hey all. I think I ran over something because there is a small gash in the front passenger cv boot. The boot clamp is also slightly dented. When changing the oil today i noticed that grease had sprayed all over my LCA. How much do cv shafts run for? Does anyone know if this will damage only the CV of the front diff!?!? thanks guys.
It shouldn't harm the front differential, because the front diff is filled with GL5 (an oil). The boot you are talking about is there to keep the grease inside the CV joint.

Since the boot is compromised, the grease will eventually come out and the CV joint will fail. There are various options. Nissan has a kit available to repair the boots. Or you can replace the entire shaft. Repairing the boot is going to be a lot of work and i believe you need a special tool to replace the clamp. The correct way to repair it would be to disassemble the CV joint, clean it all up, re-install the grease, and then put it back on the half-axle shaft, put the boot on, clamp it.

If it were me, I would buy rebuilt half axles. And I believe that in repairs such as this, if you do one side, you really ought to do the other side as well. But depending upon how long you wish to keep the truck, how long you have had it, etc., you may just want to do it the cheap way for now. Also depends upon your budget I guess.

Here is a link which will allow you to do some pricing for the genuine Nissan parts.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra...-front-drive-shaft-ff/-c-533_534_667_693.html

Let us know what you decide, if you do it yourself, etc.

Efutue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the truck is still under warranty (only 22,000) so i will take it to the dealership and see if they will fix it. if not then i will look into those repair kits. Thanks guys.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
The dealer is gonna whoop your azz for $450 or more. Take it to a CV joint outfit like a CV Pro they have around here. Should be less than $225

·
Banned
275 Posts
the truck is still under warranty (only 22,000) so i will take it to the dealership and see if they will fix it. if not then i will look into those repair kits. Thanks guys.
In your original post you asked "how much do CV shafts run for?". I assumed you wanted to know how much they cost because you wanted to buy the necessary parts and repair it yourself. I'm now guessing that you were trying to find out how long they last. I don't think you initially indicated that it was still under warranty.

Efutue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts