Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 X 6MT, 2013 P4X 6MT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I noticed a few small oil stains in the driveway. It looks like its coming from the rear driveshaft, where the u-joints go into the transfer case. It looks like there is a collar of some kind on the driveshaft.

I'm guessing there is a seal behind it than needs swapping and I should check the oil level.

Assuming I have to drop the rear driveshaft, what would be the next step in identifying / repairing?

2007 6 speed manual

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
216 Posts
That 'collar' is just a dust cap which comes right off.
Mark the driveshaft flanges so they mate back up on reassembly exactly as they now.
That yoke will slide right out of the transfer case once the shaft is lowered.
Some oil might leak so be ready. Check the oil level when you're done.

See page 106 of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) attached.
The rest of the Xterra manual can be downloaded FREE from our friends at NicoClub.com here:

Attachments

Reactions: Gingie

·
Registered
2007 X 6MT, 2013 P4X 6MT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ramtest - thanks, that is a great link.

Is there equivalent tools I can use or do I need the nissan - spec'd ones in the diagram?

Looks like some kind of puller in the first image. The second might be finding the right socket to set it back in place.

Font Parallel Elbow Rectangle Line art

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
216 Posts
Sometimes you need to work with the tools you have, rather than the tools you'd like to have. That seal is a little difficult because the output shaft is in the way. But I've hacked them out of there with a sturdy screwdriver on other vehicles. Some come out using a dent puller.

Reactions: Gingie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts