Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, based on my lift thread, I'm assuming I need shims. Looks like something like this will work:

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html...b&ps_session=067df85b5e2d39f34da31f5b179294d4

I'm assuming these will work since they are listed for the new Frontier.

Also, with a 2" lift in the rear, I'm guessing that the 2 degree shims will probably be enough. Is there anything else I need to consider, such as new U-bolts or anything else?

Thanks again...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
2º should be enough. Now, I am really shocked that you are having problems with shackles and vibrations, but shims won't hurt.

I am personally of the view, if you remove a u-bolt, you should replace it. When properly torqued, the threads on a u-bolt actually destroy themselves by stretching. Sure the nut will still thread on, but they will never be the same.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes two of us shocked about it, especially since I don't recall hearing about anyone else having the same problem. Of course, I do have to verify that is indeed the problem, but it sure seems very likely at this point. The install itself, and the front end and alignment are solid. Process of elimination says the pinion angle is probably the culprit.

I'll factor new U-bolts into the install as well. I assume I'll need slightly longer ones, and that it won't hurt to maybe beef them up a bit while I'm at it...

·
on line
111 Posts
You may also want to get longer center pins for you leaf springs. Once you put a shim in, not much of the center pin is sticking out to locate the springs to the axle. Just depends on your level of paranoia.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At lunch I took a peek under the X. The pinion angle is off, but barely and I mean BARELY. You really have to look hard to notice it. Of course, that may explain why the vibration and noise is very slight and not obnoxious. But its so slight I wonder if that could really be causing the trouble. Maybe that slight angle is aggravated by the fact that the truck only has 800 miles on it, and could stand to break in further. Who knows. :dontknow:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly. With the stock springs as soft as they are. If you give the springs time to settle, the vibration will probably go away on it's own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts