Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to replace my leaf spring shackles, and what I thought was going to be an easy install is turning into a pain in the ass. The shackles (super pro greasable, stock length) are stuck on both the top and bottom. these shackles have been on the truck for less than a year. It seems the leaf spring itself is able to move left to right on the shackle, but the bolt of the shackle just won't come out.

Any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fixture Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did u not hit that bolt on the top side with a breaker bar yet? It should only be at like 60 lbs torque

Idk if that pin on the leaf side is supposed to come out tho. Should probably find that out first if u plan to save or sell. If it is OK to come out, then if u have a ball joint separator aka pickle fork just hammer it in between the side plate and leaf to create vertical leverage and it'll for sure seperate.

The other issue is u may have too much tension on the entire unit to where it's not just gonna slide easily. Try to lift the axle and relieve the tension, and it should come out much, much easier.
I was able to get the nut out on the top, I put it back in there to try and use it to pull out the top. I don't plan to save or sell, I am already at the point of no return.

I tried lifting the axle many times, at all different heights. If I lifted the other side of the axle, the leaf spring would slide out about halfway, but no where near far enough to pull out the shackle. I tried using a wrench as a pickle fork, but may just need to pick one up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for recommending the ratchet strap method. I will get under there and give it a try. did your spare tire get in the way pretty bad?

I have a custom built water tank under the rear that is bolted into the frame, it takes up similar volume to the stock spare. it would suck to have to take that apart.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just confirmed ratchet strap is not an option with how the water tank is placed. It would take a while to remove the tank and plumbing.

Whats weird is it seems the threaded part that goes through the metal shackle is stuck on the metal. I was able to get the other side out of the leaf spring, but on the frame mount it is stuck as well. There is no pressure from the weight of the car on that side now and it is still very, very stuck. I might try cutting the metal off, but then the bolt itself seems it would still be stuck on the inside

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even if I decided to cut it off, I can see a way to do so that helps without damaging the leaf springs themselves. I'll send an updated photo later tonight, but I am able to get it partially off if. I tried ratchet strapping to the tow shackle on the rear of my truck and broke through a 500lb ratchet strap. It seems it moved about an 1/8 of an inch though. I'm going to pickup a heavier duty ratchet strap and give that a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts