Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Did u not hit that bolt on the top side with a breaker bar yet? It should only be at like 60 lbs torque

Idk if that pin on the leaf side is supposed to come out tho. Should probably find that out first if u plan to save or sell. If it is OK to come out, then if u have a ball joint separator aka pickle fork just hammer it in between the side plate and leaf to create vertical leverage and it'll for sure seperate.

The other issue is u may have too much tension on the entire unit to where it's not just gonna slide easily. Try to lift the axle and relieve the tension, and it should come out much, much easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I was able to get the nut out on the top, I put it back in there to try and use it to pull out the top. I don't plan to save or sell, I am already at the point of no return.

I tried lifting the axle many times, at all different heights. If I lifted the other side of the axle, the leaf spring would slide out about halfway, but no where near far enough to pull out the shackle. I tried using a wrench as a pickle fork, but may just need to pick one up.
When I was removing the OEM shackles, not knowing they were pressed in haha, I was able to use a pickle fork to separate the pins from plates. That takes a TON of force to do, so I can say u won't have any problem but I'd look into the ratcheting straps method user above suggested. Seems like that'd be working smarter than harder imo.

The whole process is much easier without the spare in the way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I mean it does look like at least the bottom end is pressed in. If that's pressed in then likely the top is too, like an OEM design. The only way around that without straps is a pickle fork separator or cutting.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top