Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Whats is the life expectancy of the leaf springs on the Xterra?

In reading past posts, there are individuals which have needed to replace their leaf springs in less than 30,000 miles where as others still have their OEM springs after 130,000 miles.

Have you experienced any problems with your factory leaf springs or are you still doing fine?

Please share the current mileage of your Xterra if you have not replaced your factory leaf spring.
If you have replaced your leaf springs , what was the mileage at the time of your leaf spring swap.
How many times a year do you tow with your Xterra.
How often do you off road

I will start things off.

2014 Xterra 4x4
Apx 50,500 miles
Factory leaf springs with no apparent sag.
My towing is limited to a 5x8 utility trailer and an atv during the weekends of our three month long deer season
Light Off Roading on cut roads through deer woods.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I replaced my leafs around 25k-30k mi. Partly because they were sagging, partly because I was doing a lift. I tow occasionally, but it tends to be a decent amount of weight with a 6x10 utility trailer. FWIW, I'm on my 4th revision of leaf springs (counting stock), and looking to go to my 5th:
stock
AAL
Dakar
Dakar HD

2010 off-road
30k when replaced
occasional towing
occasional off road w/ good workout

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
My X had 80,000 "unknown" miles on it when I bought it, and it was only 3 years old. 2 years ago I had the springs re-arched and another leaf added. This year I replaced the "stock" shocks with a set of Pro4 shocks.
Boy does it really ride better now.

PS.... I'm at 130,000 miles now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
08 S, 70K miles, factory springs, no sag
Tow 2-3 times a year, 425 lb tongue weight, plus numerous use of a light utility trailer, added air springs in 2017
Light off roading
Shocks are still good but will replace soon since they are severely rusted

·
Registered
489 Posts
'13 S trim. 51k miles.

I've got the stock packs with AALs and Nisstec Shackles. The leaf packs are sagging pretty badly. I do a fair bit of mild to medium off-roading.

Alcans are on the list for later this year or next spring.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I measured my ground to wheel well distance on my Xterra this afternoon.

With my X being a 4x4 and having a 265 75 r16 tire , my measured distance was nearly perfect at apx 35.75 inches.

I may look into installing a set of Timbren bump stops to assist in those times which I'm towing.
At the moment, my springs seem ok.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Eighty.

Copied from Hollywood Auto Body, Auto Repair Shop

All springs sag with age. The constant load they bear leads to creep within the molecular structure of the metal. Over time, the spring weakens and begins to lose height (coil spring) or arch (leaf spring).

As the spring settles, ride height decreases and causes undesirable changes in wheel alignment. That is why alignment technicians are always supposed to measure ride height before they realign the wheels. More than an inch of sag usually means time for new springs.

Spring sag also reduces suspension ability to support its normal load. This, combined with decreased ride height, means less clearance between suspension stops and chassis.
The result can be bottoming on rough roads or when carrying extra weight.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I got my 2011 with ~87k in 2016. It would hit the bump stops on not too hard of a bump with no load. I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer a lot. At first I added air bags, which worked well until it was loaded too heavy, then the ride got harsh when I put in enough air to level it out. I then added helper leafs, and I couldn't be happier with the setup. It's adjustable and now comfortable with any reasonable load. The X sees field duty and snow. What other people would want to wheel their X through I get the dirt bike out for :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
2006 Xterra S 4x4
Approx 186,500 miles
Original Leafs
Single Leaf AAL added around 180k
Cheapo Helper Springs added around 185k

I got the X with 135k and it didn't have a hitch so I assume it has never towed. Carfax shows it was originally a rental car and I believe I am the 3rd owner. It had Michilin street tires when I bought it and it was clean underneath so I'll assume it was a commuter only. Since owning it, I have only done light offroading and though I've added a hitch, I don't tow anything with it.

I'm sure there is some sag going on by now, but I have never had a bottoming out issue. With the AAL and Bilstein 4600 shocks, the ride is great and I have about an inch of rake.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Eighty.

Copied from Hollywood Auto Body, Auto Repair Shop

All springs sag with age. The constant load they bear leads to creep within the molecular structure of the metal. Over time, the spring weakens and begins to lose height (coil spring) or arch (leaf spring).

As the spring settles, ride height decreases and causes undesirable changes in wheel alignment. That is why alignment technicians are always supposed to measure ride height before they realign the wheels. More than an inch of sag usually means time for new springs.

Spring sag also reduces suspension ability to support its normal load. This, combined with decreased ride height, means less clearance between suspension stops and chassis.
The result can be bottoming on rough roads or when carrying extra weight.

Cool. Is there a way to measure Sag with aftermarket wheels? I’m currently on 33”s, is it just a matter of subtracting 2” since OEMs were 31”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
2012 Pro4x
Bought at 34k now at 76k
Noticed it bottoming out and sagging at least 15k ago but wasn't too severe until recently.
My fiance did live down a 2 mile rough dirt road for a while, but that was about the extent of it's off road life. Once in awhile we will do some light off-roading but nothing major. I occasionally tow a 10' utility trailer with dirt bikes or my roughly 1500lb YXZ. I also used to haul my dirt bike around on a hitch hauler for a while.

All stock as of now, but just ordered OME dakar springs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
2015 Pro4x
37k miles
Factory Leafs
No Sag

My leafs started to break in around 10k miles. At that point the springs got softer very rapidly, to the point where the rear had the infamous xterra handling abilities. Still no sag though.

It seems like the issue with the rear leaf pack is NOT that they sag but rather that they get weaker (not as stiff as on the dealer lot.)

Red

P.S.: Timbrens solve all problems and add 25HP.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool. Is there a way to measure Sag with aftermarket wheels? I’m currently on 33”s, is it just a matter of subtracting 2” since OEMs were 31”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going from a 31" tire to a 33" tire will only provide 1" of ground clearance.
Basically, your gaining an inch on either side of your tire.

With this in mind your ground to fender flair distance should be around 36.75 to 37"

·
Registered
747 Posts
Going from a 31" tire to a 33" tire will only provide 1" of ground clearance.
Basically, your gaining an inch on either side of your tire.

With this in mind your ground to fender flair distance should be around 36.75 to 37"
Oh man, duh.. too early in the morning :p

Where do I start measuring on the flares?

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is pretty unreliable if everyone doesn't have the same amount of fuel, setup, junk, etc.

With my underfloor storage full of tools and recovery gear and a full tank of fuel, I measured 1/4" of sag in the rear and(edit) zero in the front(IIRC). Based off the numbers provided in the factory service manual.

Stock 2012 P4X 114,000 miles. Unknown history from zero to 113,250 miles.
265/75-16 BFG Ko2 35psi

Front 34.25"(spec=34.25" )
Rear 35.31"(spec=35.59")

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Pro 4X stock 95k miles
I just measured .6" sag in the rear and .3" sag in the front
no towing and mostly highway/fire roads, little bit of off road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an 05 S, with 147,xxx miles. Purchased it last year with 130,xxx miles. The entire truck appears to be all original. Leaf springs are flat as pancakes... I've got a full OME kit, leaf springs, shackles, etc... just waiting to be installed, should be done in the next few weeks and hopefully it'll help the ride. I can't even ride in the back seat without feeling sick... LOL !!! Driving/riding up front is fine... but the rear is SO harsh and bouncy... you feel everything !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts