Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Xterra owners,

I was checking out AC's web site (4x4parts.com) and I noticed the Xterra Leaf Pack Skid Plates are only listed for the 2000-2004 Xterras.

Leaf Pack Skid plates

I seem to remember someone else on this forum with a picture of these Leaf Pack Skids. I was wondering where they might have got them, or if this is item mis-labeled and they do indeed fit. If they don't fit that is OK too, I remember seeing a picture of them and I thought it was here.

I know MC does not like AC, and I would guess a few of you will suggest I should not worry about the Leaf Pack cups, but I have a gouge in one of mine where a rock was there and was removed the hard way.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am pretty sure they will fit. The ones on AC's site are actually made for Jeeps. You can find them with different bolt specs on a lot of Jeep sites.

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys,

I emailed AC about Leaf Pack Skid Plates to see if they would fit the 2005+ Xterra. Actually, I have the email still...

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your interest in our products. This part will work with your
05 Xterra as well.
If we can be of any further assistance or you wish to order, call or you can
order on line at www.4x4parts.com

You can reach us at 954-971-3510 or FAX 954-971-3770

Thank you

Mike V.
Automotive Customizers
1700 NW 22 Court Unit #2.
Pompano Beach FL 33069

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:32 PM
Subject: 4x4parts.com Contact Request

> Name: Matt Bruzek
> E-mail address: mbruzek @ magnaspeed.net
>
> Question:
> Hello,
>
> I see the item \"Xterra Leaf Pack Skid Plates\" listed under only for the
2000-2004 Xterra on your skid plates page.
>
> I have a 2005 Xterra Offroad model and it does not appear that the leaf
pack hangers have changed much compared to my previous 2002 Xterra. But I
will be the first to admit that I have not compared the two models in that
area.
>
> Is there any chance that the Xterra Leaf Pack Skid Plates work with the
2005 Xterra? Please email me back at mbruzek @ magnaspeed . net and thanks for
your time.
>
> - Matt Bruzek
I got the skid plates in the mail and there is no way these things will fit inside our leaf pack hangers, which was my guess on how they are supposed to fit. With no instructions or further details it is left to my imagination.

I just emailed AC with questions on how they mount. I know MC hasn't had good luck with them on support, but I am optimistic they will return my email.

Has anyone seen leaf pack skid plates mounted before? Are they supposed to go inside the stock hangers or replace the hangers? They look heavy duty enough to stay put, but I figured (maybe incorrectly) they fit up in the hangers.

Anyone?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Maybe you should try calling them. I've dealt with them exclusively for all
my parts and haven't had a problem with getting answers and
any type of support. Often times, I'm asking for a rush on parts b/c I start
getting impatient when it comes to working on my car. More than
once, they've given me a 1-2 day turnaround on parts needing to be fabbed
from scratch.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I had 'em on my Gen1, they work great, for wha they are. I still have mine, and I'll go look, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't work. It seems to me the shocks are positioned differently on the Gen2. BRB..

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Here's how they looked on the Gen1-

There's no way they'd work on a Gen2, because the shock mounts, as I figured, are on the axle, not the spring perches like they were on the Gen1s. You might could fab the skids so the bolt was on the opposite end of it's current position. Here's a pic of the slider which was on the DS.-

For it to work again on the drivers side of a Gen2, the bolt would have to be moved moved to the rear, same side. :sign7: Now that I'm looking, I may just have my welder cook the nuts on where needed, and re-use 'em. The perches themselves are the same dimensions, shock-bolt position is the only limiting factor. I'd been trying to sell 'em to a Gen1 owner.. You can also see they've held up to a few good rocks from the second pic showing the underside.. They're built tough, and the powdercoat is done well too.

·
on line
641 Posts
They are not supposed to replace your shock mounts on the 2nd gen X. Just replace the hanger w/o the shock stud and keep using your stock shock mounts.

Just like rsisme2 did:

·
on line
3,218 Posts
:cheers: , didn't think to not use the shock mount.. I still wish there was protection for the shock bottom though, I'm sure those tabs'll bend in or out, one way or the other.

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mistake on how they fit, thanks for clearing that up. Xterrarock is right I should have called them. Work has been so busy that I haven't even been reading the forums as much as I want, never mind trying to call 4x4 parts.

I also picked up an AAL pack with some shims. Going to do this all at once, if I can figure this out, will look up some How-Tos here on the forum. From what I read I should replace the U-bolts as well, so I went to a local store and purchased 4 new U-bolts.

Thanks for the picture of the skids on a Gen 2! Is there any tricks to the install that I should know? It looks like some weird looking center bolts were included in the skids, the bag mentions drilling out a hole to make room, and I can only guess that is in the hole of the leaves.

Thanks again guys,

·
on line
641 Posts
DBAX said:
:cheers: , didn't think to not use the shock mount.. I still wish there was protection for the shock bottom though, I'm sure those tabs'll bend in or out, one way or the other.
One of mines is already bent, but I will leave it like that since I'm plannig on going SOA, so I will need new shock mount anyways.

If you ant to use the hanger's shock mounts, I'm sure you'll find the part you need in any of these places, some have dual mounts:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=U"+BOLT+SKID+PLATE

http://www.warriorproducts.com/

http://www.performanceaccessories.com/

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...D=231000000&productId=2004934&catalogId=10101

This type of mount won't give you that much protection, but you can carry some spare sutds, so if you bent one on the tray, it's an easy fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts