Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean. One thing I'm going to do different though is make mine flush with the grill. If I can't do that because the winch behind the bumper is what pushes it out forward, then I've got a creative solution I think will work. I appreciate your input, though!

Spence

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the kind works, gents- Thanks! I'm serious about getting one built, but I'm not going to do it if it is going to cost over X amount of dollars. Actually, if it's going to cost a lot to make one in what I'll call "conventional form" I won't give up on it that easily- I'll just stay up late some night and drink about it till I figure out an innovative way to get the same end result- but no compromising quality.

·
on line
43 Posts
I'm diggin' this bumper. I've been on this forum for a while, but haven't really blogged much.

I recently helped a friend install one of those awesome 10,000 lb lift systems in his garage and it has changed my world. Working on the car is extremely easy now. I'm now considering making my own bumper just for kicks. My friend is currently in the middle of building a roll-cage for his race car.

I say, if you've got the time... go for it! I'd be very interested to see how it turns out. I'll probably start mine very soon and would be more than willing to share the construction process, complete with design.

Cheers,
Tx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update on this... I have sitting in my garage an '06 grill and bumper, and a 2012 front bumper. All 3 purchased from fellow forum members, and it was a pleasure doing business with them. I'm going to talk to 2 guys in Colorado Springs who are well known fabricators, and then another forum friend is going to introduce me to a fabricator in Denver. I've been researching ways to take a stock bumper and reshape it to make it look something like this design. Over winter break, those 2 bumpers sitting in my garage are going under the knife, so to say. The bumpers will be cut into 3 pieces - left, right and center. The fog lights will be cut out first and moved up and in. Then the rest will be cut into pieces and lifted up into their higher positions. This will leave unsightly seams and a gaps. I will fill the gaps then that will become a "mold" which will be used to "thermoform" a new right or left corner. I've found a source of plastic sheeting which has the same color and texture as the OEM plastic. I'm going to try to vacuum forming the sheet of plastic over the mold. I found a place in Colorado Springs that will attempt the vacuum forming for me, so I don't have to build that machine. The end product could be just a "skin" to cover a cut up bumper beneath it, or maybe it could be a complete replacement bumper. If it all ends up looking like hell, oh well! If it ends up looking great, then we all know a new trick. I'll keep you posted.

Source (check out digi camo option!): http://www.interstateplastics.com/s...dex&kw=kydex&gclid=CJLwsO3T27oCFe5cMgodMi0AIA

vacuum forming concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8awDZ_neH0

·
Registered
513 Posts
You do realize that if it comes out good, you'd have to start producing those, right? :)
BTW, it looks cool. I'd be interested...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I really like the look of this man. I hope it works out for you. Any thoughts of just having this done in plate steel? Looks pretty straightforward. or are you trying to keep the weight down?
I remember you mentioned that the Iron Bull looked similar to my mock up, and I totally agree. That being said and seriously considered, I decided I'd prefer plastic for both the weight savings and also very much for the look.

It just doesn't sound right when I say "I prefer the look of plastic", nope, but when I'm looking at the vehicle, I personally prefer the look of the plastic. I want the bumper corners to have an OEM look to them and in the center a bad ass tough as nails looking winch bumper. I don't expect this to appeal to the hard core rock climbers, but if someone wants a half city/half trail look and they don't need serious front end protection, then this might be a good look for them.

Below is an UNFINISHED photochop. It shows how I envision the very upper corners of the bumper to look like. Now I need to mess around with that portion of the bumper between the tires and the opening in the center. The opening in the center would be filled with the front face of a winch bumper and shackles/tow hooks. Then I'll need to design a skid plate that would attach to the bottom of the winch bumper. By the time I'm done reforming the rest of the bumper, all this will improve the approach angle ability for the X.

Again this is an UNFINISHED photochop:

Adding something like this would provide a little protection for the plastic. I'll design something and kick it around with everyone for feedback

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you're interested in winch integration with better protection, maybe think about designing it around a RockyMtnX winch cradle?
Yes, sir! He was one of the 2 people I made reference to as fabricators in Colorado Springs. Anyone wanna take a guess at who the other guy is?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts