Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on friday night my friend purchased a 74 land rover for 500$ and bought 33" super swampers with some steel rims for around 500 bucks so we went mashing hard. We were on some motorcycle trails skidding on every rock cause the trail was so gnarly just thrashing the car when all of a sudden the corner of the road gives out. (mind you we are about 3 hours driving up this mountain, snow on the ground around us, about 30 degrees outside we have no food, no water and its midnight. When the road gave out there was really nothing we could do but turn into the hill otherwise we would have rolled all the way down this mountain. Anyways to make a long story short we got stuck and had to stay the night in my friends truck hanging off the cliff by a tow chain hanging to a tree at a 60 degree angle. Literally we were laying down in the back of the truck and would wake up in the front seat cause we would roll all the way down from the angle. We ended up walking 10 miles out of the mountains luckily we walked the right way because we had no idea where we were. Was a pretty crazy experience. ALSO I have to add this, there were 4 of us on this trip we are all 19-20 and after walking 10 miles were pretty dead and we found this road that we knew lead to a dam so that would be our way out. Well we see a cop driving on the side of the road and he was like are you those 4 lost kids that they have been looking for and we were just like I dont know if we are weve been stuck all night. My other buddy walks up and is like hey man can you please give us a ride we havent eaten in 2 days really and have been hiking all morning night. The dude was like well you only have 2 more miles to go I'm sure you will make it. fuck that motherfucking cop, that shits his job when people are in need.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
IF this is true, I really hope you learned a valuable lesson and will keep some sort of gear permanently in your X for situations exactly like this. I know that I have blankets, warm clothes, candles, rain gear, and some granola bars amongst other survival gear in the back of my truck at all times. You NEVER know when you'll need it.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Fail to plan - plan to fail... Glad you and your friends are alright. Hopefully you'll put together some survival basics just in case there is a next time. In a different climate or situation (ie injuries) you could have been really pooched being far out. Best of luck with the veh. recovery.

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah actually had we been in my X we wouldnt have been in this situation because I DO carry blanket/chains/water everything but we did have cell phones. Sadly cell phones are no good when you are in the middle of the mountain and dont know where we are. We could have obviously called a search party and stuff if it got to that point but that was a very last option.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
my point exactly about cops...i know we have some on here and from talking with you guys you seem like good guys, but it just seems that 99% of circumstances where people really need help like this one...they are nooooooooooooooo help!

·
on line
14,014 Posts
firemansxterra said:
my point exactly about cops...i know we have some on here and from talking with you guys you seem like good guys, but it just seems that 99% of circumstances where people really need help like this one...they are nooooooooooooooo help!
Yeah, kinda like firemen, too! :compress:

·
on line
148 Posts
Atom said:
The dude was like well you only have 2 more miles to go I'm sure you will make it. **** that motherfucking cop, that shits his job when people are in need.
I don't blame him, we're not a taxi service lol

·
on line
704 Posts
What the cop has done falls into a gray area... Everybody in the group seemed to be young and somewhat in shape. Honestly, walking 10 miles is not that bad and with only 2 miles to go, the cop probably figured that he had better things to do. Had I been a cop, I would have given a ride. But I know many people who would say "it is a good lesson for them to learn." Glad that you're safe though.

Now, do the Landy a favor and not restore it to museum condition. Those cars are made for wheeling :)

·
on line
148 Posts
Ok, so I re-read what he said transpired with the cop. In that situation then I definitely would have given them a ride. He already acknowledged the fact that he was looking for lost kids. Although where I work, we arent supposed to give rides, the occasional exception is given, and in this case, these guys certainly met that criteria lol.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
willgr1 said:
bwarren228 said:
Pics or it didn't happen :D... Glad to hear you're ok though

X2.....but i do have to ask, didn't you have a CB or a cell phone??? gotta plan for these kinda things, especially if you're that far off the beaten path.
x3

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car definitely isnt going to the shop for any bodywork anytime soon I'll tell you that. This truck is a masher through and through basically made to do the stuff I wont do to the X for paint/damage reasons. I'm still working on trying to get some pics of at least us hanging from the tree. I definitely did learn a lesson but thats no reason for the cop to be a jerk, we were really nice to him and I didnt add this before buut..

After he denied us the ride a few times my friend D started getting worked up cause he thought it was bullshit, he said something like "we pay for this car and your salary with our taxes and you dont have the decency to give us a ride. The cop replied with "how much do you pay in taxes son" my friend D says "3 to 4k a year" and he looked at my friend D right in the face and said "then you only pay for about this much of my truck." and made a little smartass smirk and held his fingers up. I wasn't down with that so I stepped in "my dads a lawyer and by my guess I would say he pays about 5 of your salaries yearly " When I mentioned lawyer he veerrrry quickly took back his statement about us only paying "this much" of his salary lol and said "I dont measure myself by money."

·
on line
21 Posts
I'm a cop and I pay taxes too. So I guess that kinda makes me self employed! Keep walking buddy!! Just kidding. Seriously if you were not the people I was looking for then I probably would have told you to keep walking so I could continue looking for the others. Heck I ran 16 miles yesterday and I'm 37 years old! You could easily make it 2 more miles. But if you were cool I'd have probably given you a ride anyways. The mouthy one, I would have told him I was out of room and would have to come back for him! Any way I'm glad no one got hurt and don't lump all us cops into the same category. That's like saying all of us who drive Xterra's are A.. Holes. Only some of us are!

·
on line
212 Posts
He's not wrong, yesterday went biking early am, X's battery died, call 911, sorry but not on a st. Refers me to Courtesy Patrol, Can't help ya either, I'm 100 ft from the Trinity River, 70% chance of rain. Some guy is parked down the way, when he see's me walking towards his car he high tails it. Looked him in the eye and gave him the finger, $%$wipe, so anyway, get out of x with jumpers and a truck stops, the guy, gives me a jump, but to tell you the truth, I saw more than 10 city of dallas vehicles drive by and nothing. If my kayak had been on the truck and it rained. People are so callous and superficial, many thanks to the guy that helped me. Yeah, not the smartest idea, but time is a factor, do what you do when you can. My $00.2 sense worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts