Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The date is set for Sat April 26th. I will be arriving there on thu afternoon and probably staying till mon. I'm hoping someone else will want to run at least 1 additional day of trails because one trail and bail does not work for me.

N 35.36168 W 117.89852 This is the start point for Last Chance. We will plan to meet at this point at 9am on sat April 26th.

We will be at the Jawbone store and gas station prior to heading to the start. It is located on Hwy 14 about 5 miles east of the trailhead at these coordinates: N 35.29589 W 118.00641.

Here is a link to the thread on CF - Last Chance Canyon early spring

Attendee's:
1. BCBrian 100% Fri, Sat, Sun? Frontier
2. Frontier279 maybe Frontier
3. Nomad13 95% Fri, Sat Frontier (5% reserved for 3 yr old kid issues!)
4. JeniorNV 80% Sat Frontier
5. CarJEEP 100% Fri, Sat Frontier
6. snutty 100% Sat (TNX) XTerra
7. Jess05SE 99.9% Sat (TNX) XTerra
8. dan826 100% Fri, Sat Frontier
9. deantac 100% Fri, Sat (EXPO) Jeep
10. tomrejzek 100% Fri, Sat (TNX) XTerra
11. KiwiKurt 100% Sat (EXPO) XTerra

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm going January 22-25 with my normal group. We do a week long trip once a year, usually in may, but with my deployment coming up we had to move it up a bit. Anyways, I'll post up trail conditions when we get back. I've heard that when it rains, last chance canyon can become pretty dicey with flash floods and washouts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going January 22-25 with my normal group. We do a week long trip once a year, usually in may, but with my deployment coming up we had to move it up a bit. Anyways, I'll post up trail conditions when we get back. I've heard that when it rains, last chance canyon can become pretty dicey with flash floods and washouts
Here are a couple links to short video's of flash flooding in Last Chance canyon -

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLQSYJ8LGzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aH1mbY9C0

I doubt you will have a problem this year but things can change quickly out there....

Looking forward to your trail report and hopefully some photo's.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That happened to us last May. Crazy, it didnt rain a single drop, and the temp was about 100F, then all of a sudden I noticed there was water trickling down the middle of the canyon's sandy bottom. It got stronger, turned into a stream, then a steady flow. Within fifteen minutes it looked like that video. Just another reason to always be aware of your surroundings!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The V Notch

This part of the trail was impassable with a 3" Lift and ATs when I was there 2 years ago. I have requested trail conditions from a local 4x4 club and will post the when/if I get them. I have a report that the V Notch has filled in somewhat and 'MAY' be a little easier now.

if anyone else has trail condition info please post it here.

I have updated the first post with coordinates and the attendee list.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trail Report

I received some info from a member on Expedition Portal.

"Was there just this last weekend. The bypasses are torn up a bit, have to really hug the side of the mountain so you don't slide down. However you can run in the river bed where the notch is, just before the notch you can take the bypass and it isn't too bad from there."

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Plan Updates

I have decided to go ahead and get a campsite in the Ricardo CG at Red Rocks Canyon SP. This will allow us to keep all our gear safer than leaving it out in the open in Jawbone. I am trying to avoid tearing camp down and setting back up each day and this will allow us more time to wheel.

The sites are $25 per night and allow for up to 8 people per site and 1 vehicle. Extra vehicles are $6 per night. Sites have tables and fire rings and water is also available in the CG. There are no showers at this CG, so bring a solar shower. Pit toilets are on site. I am willing to share my site to keep the cost down.

I will be meeting CarJeep and Dan826 at the Jawbone store between 9:30 and 10 on Fri the 25th. I am hoping to run the Rand Mountain trail complex that day. After meeting at the store we will be heading to the campground to secure a 2nd site and drop gear prior to hitting the trails.

We will also head to the Jawbone store on sat about 8-8:30 prior to heading to the meeting point at the trail head at 9.

GPS coordinates for both of these locations are in the first post.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We now have a local guy from Expedition Portal who will be joining us in his Jeep. It will be excellent to have some local trail knowledge along on saturday's run. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts