Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many reasons, carrying a chainsaw inside the Xterra is not an ideal solution. I searched for a fair bit for a DIY solution to carry my chainsaw mounted off the rear hatch when I saw an ad for the Kolpin Chainsaw Mount on amazon. Since all of my own personal frankenstein projects weren't filling the bill, I figured it was worth the gamble.

The bracket by itself was unable to be mounted on the Gobi ladder on the back of my rig. There just isn't enough distance between the perforated mounting plate and the bracket to allow for a vertical attachment of the mounting plate and the hinge of the bracket. But it was just a matter of stand-off distance between the plate and the vertical surface (in this case my Gobi ladder) so I made a spacer block out of a piece of 2x4 and a bit of plywood. I would have preferred to make it out of a block of aluminum, but I didn't have anything of that thickness lying around and the ladder isn't a uniform surface anyways. The vertical runs of the ladder are a thicker diameter than the horizontal rungs, so a block of aluminum wouldn't sit properly against the ladder. Wood is easier to form. If I were to do it again, I would make the whole block out of a few layers of plywood, as you can see a small crack in the end of the 2x4 in one of the pictures.

So I cut the piece, measured the holes, went down to Princess Auto to get the right length of U bolts, and did a fit up. It came together well enough, I just put a smaller piece of wood between the block and the run to prevent future shifting when under load. After it held up on a test run with a weight instead of the actual saw, I took it off, painted the wooden block black so it would look nicer, and put it back on. It's been there with no problems ever since.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Sky Plant Automotive tire Bicycle tire Cloud

Wood Gas Bumper Machine tool Machine

Cloud Automotive tire Sky Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Wheel Plant

The Good: How does it work? In a word, great. It makes the chainsaw very handy and easy to get to when needed. Deadfall on the trail is no longer a cause for a delay. I do seriously recommend a cheap cloth bag to cover the chainsaw when on gravel roads and the highway however. The dust really collects back there and you will need a way to protect the saw. But the bracket itself is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar and hasn't ever loosened or backed off on me one iota.

I have a big fin sticking out from the side that is half of the mounting bracket that strictly speaking, I could cut off, but I have decided to leave it on. It might be handy for mounting on some other piece of pioneer kit down the road, like a shovel perhaps.

The Bad: Having this bracket on there makes it very difficult to use my ladder now. I am reluctant to put my full weight on the bracket by using it as a step, since it wasn't designed for that. Not so much because it would break, which I seriously doubt (come on, I'm not THAT fat), but because I don't want to tear off the thin foam layer on the top of the bracket. On the L shaped top of the bracket is a thin foam rubber piece that cushions the body of the chainsaw as it holds the weight of the saw while you tighten the clamp. If I use that as a step, I'll eventually tear that off, and I don't want that.

It is also important to have beefier struts on your hatch. When I got the ladder, I also upgraded the struts to the strongest available to me and I am very glad I did. My hatch easily handles the additional weight of the saw, but a vehicle with stock gas struts might not have the same experience.

The Ugly: I totally forgot how this would change the height profile of my hatch. I have a 270 degree awning that usually swings around to cover the back of the vehicle. It's the sort of thing that when I do need it, I am very glad I have it, but I don't need it very often. When I finally put up my awning at AOA Expo, I found that the bracket completely got in the way. But at the end of the day, I use my awning once in a blue moon and my chain saw every trip, so I'll figure out a way to work around the bracket.
Sky Plant Cloud Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea.

The item is part number 20044 and can be found at a variety of retailers, including several on line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts