Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am finally taking out my X for the first time this weekend and I have a question (for now):

Without any tow package or hitch, what makes a good recovery point for the back of the Xterra?

Thanks!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There isn't one.

Some people user a very large D-ring shackle and hook it around the leaf spring shackle mount. I personally do not like that idea as it's not designes for that kind of force and it would suck to rip your mount off.

For the price of a hitch from 4x4parts.com I would just get one and use it. It also protects your bumper from getting banged up if you come down off a ledge.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check out 4x4 parts. I am hesitant to get one because I was hoping to get my front and back shrocked by next year but I see I have no choice.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think the hitch is $120 from AC and once you get the rear, you can sell off the hitch. That's what I did...well...havn't sold the hitch...I let a fellow club member borrow it until he got his rear Shrock bumper.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Muzikman, since you are the only one posting, if you never hear from me again, it is because I got stuck nose first somewhere and refused to leave my rig behind.

The captain must always go down with this ship......

·
on line
168 Posts
Last time I went to the ranch, I got stuck in mud. I had a 4x8 utility trailer attached to the hitch. I got pulled out by a tow chain hooked to the trailer and drug backward. It pulled the trailer and the X out of the mud.

I assume the hitch would be a good point to connect a tow.

·
on line
463 Posts
Did you consider buying tow hooks from 4x4 parts or,,I think even Harbor freight has them. Use one and drill the frame for the bolts ?
I had one bolted to the front of my last truck for 14 years and never had any problems.
Heck of alot cheaper than the tow hitch and easier to put in .

Jim B

·
on line
1,884 Posts
prod39 said:
Did you consider buying tow hooks from 4x4 parts or,,I think even Harbor freight has them. Use one and drill the frame for the bolts ?
I had one bolted to the front of my last truck for 14 years and never had any problems.
Heck of alot cheaper than the tow hitch and easier to put in .

Jim B
Need to be careful when doing this as the frame is tucked up behind the rear bumper. You can damage the bumper if you run a tow strap in contact with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts