Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where i can get a short rubber antenna for my x?

the "stubby" ones at nissan parts seem to be all metal; i'm looking for the bendable rubber ones.

·
on line
631 Posts
somebody stole my antenna.... so i had to buy a new one. but a short stubby rubber one sounds good. is the reception clear? i figured since its lower it wouldnt be

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my reception seems to be as good with the antenna completely removed--but i live near the city (jacksonville). so i'm sure a shorter rubber one will be fine.

the OEM one always whacks the low limbs in front of my house when i park.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
If you want something low profile, just cut it, file it round, and dab some black paint on the tip. No harm, no foul, no money spent.

·
on line
807 Posts
Antennas from 350Z's will fit.
I wanted something even shorter than that so I modified a Honda Element antenna to work. Let me see if I have the pics still.....

EDIT: I am at work, so I cant get on photobucket, but to sum up what I did:
The Honda Element has the same thread/pitch, but the threaded section in too short, so what I did is cut down the threaded part on the antenna so that there was only 1 thread left, then I threaded a nut on it.
Then I cut the head of a bolt with the same thread pitch, the bolt was about 1.5" long. I then threaded the head-less bolt into the nut threaded onto the antenna (1/2 the nut is screwed into the antenna, and 1/2 is screwed into the bolt).
Basically what you are doing here is just extending the bolt comming out of the antenna.
I then put some JB Weld about the nut just to make sure it didn't vibrate loose.

I've had mine on for over a year now, and it works great.

·
on line
114 Posts
you can get shorter black flexible antenna's from your local auto supply store. it'll come with various theaded adaptors that will allow you to fit it to the Xterra's antenna base

·
on line
3,050 Posts
2006x said:
you can get shorter black flexible antenna's from your local auto supply store. it'll come with various theaded adaptors that will allow you to fit it to the Xterra's antenna base
So anyone will fit? I just need to match up the thread adapter...does anyone know the size?
I wanna hit my local parts store on the way home....

·
on line
807 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
i went to my local parts store and picked a 15 inch rubber attenna..it was a universal fit with a couple of threading adapters. $9.99 canadian...cheeper for you Americans...

Part# 35-0570-0
American International
Premium Attenna
Multi-fit
Replacement Mast

:cheers:

·
on line
210 Posts
I'm keeping my full lenght antenna - Great to mesure clearance entrering covered parking or any obstacle on the trail - If the antenna clears than the roof-rack will also clear...

Just my 2¢

·
on line
1,638 Posts
eXTra fORt said:
I'm keeping my full lenght antenna - Great to mesure clearance entrering covered parking or any obstacle on the trail - If the antenna clears than the roof-rack will also clear...

Just my 2¢
Never thougth of using the antenna like that... great idea
I've been so paranoid entering parking garages after the body lift.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts