Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, and Xterra's. My wife has 2007 we've been working on and yesterday we did the following:

>> Removed, knocked out, and refit upper CATS
>> Removed B-pipes and installed Doug Walker replacements
>> Removed stock muffler, refit Borla 2.25" dual in, single out
After finishing the work, the truck was driven approx 15 miles, stopping two times along the way. (Sounded very good!) When we got back from a test ride, we parked it for about 30 mins and, my wife drove it to the back of our property (16 acres) and parked it. 15 minutes later I went to start it and all I'm getting is the starter turning over (no issues there) with a slight stumble like it's trying to start.

We've had no issues with the vehicle to-date other than replacing one of the coil-packs and general maintenance.

From everything I've gathered reading yesterday and today, the mods I've done to the exhaust can and likely will throw codes and ultimately requires tuning through something like an HP Tuner device --- but it shouldn't render the vehicle in a NON-START scenario.

Interestingly, today I just now (it's been sitting since about 10 PM) went to start it and it fired right up.

If anyone can provide any thoughts or direction on what I could check, I'm at a total loss. My wife is scheduled to leave tomorrow for a 600-mile road trip and I am concerned about her leaving without knowing what may have caused this. The last thing I want is her getting stranded.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drove the truck to AutoZone to use their scanner tool and this is what I found:

>> P1148
>> P0430
>> P2A00
>> P1148
>> P0455
>> P2A00
>> P0130
After clearing the codes it wouldn't start, again. So now it's stuck in the AutoZone parking lot.

- sigh -

·
Registered
2007 OffRoad 6MT
62 Posts
P0430 is Cat DTC
P0455 is emissions
The rest I don't know off the top of my head. Kind of sounds like a fuel pump though. Hit the fuel tank with a mallet and see if that works. Also u can turn on the key before you crank and listen in the back for a whine (that's fuel pump).
If its not the pump could be the IPDM-ER, there's a small relay that goes bad and will cause intermittent no start issues. Not sure if you can get the relay separately these days but I have a bunch from 1st QX56's.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Loose or poor ground connects can cause random no start problems like that. You might check your engine and chassis ground connections. Exhaust needs a good ground to chassis too.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,036 Posts
It sounds like cam/crank sensors.. been a lot of that lately. But try to rule out the fuel pump and grounds.
The other codes you have are for a/f and 02 sensors, and possibly exhaust leaks between the cat and b pipe but that would.need functioning sensors and cats, so who knows now.... what did you do about those sensors?

·
Registered
2007 OffRoad 6MT
62 Posts
Also, one more note. Check your security light. If it's blinking you're ok but if it's on solid you'll have an issue, but that should kick a DTC also. Main thing is to get another list of DTC's after you have these cleared.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
lol there is 7 SES codes! no wonder it wont start!

are all of those new codes, or where they also there before the gutting / exhaust replacement?

also why choose to gut the exhaust before a 600 mile road trip?

personally i would have waited until after that!

chances are the engine is just freaked out by the lack of back pressure and the 02 sensors picking up wayy different signals than before the gutting.

i'd just start going through those codes one by one, fixing easiest ones first and see where it gets you.

I would not take a truck with 7 ses codes on a 600 mile road trip, much less allow my wife to do so..

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Drove the truck to AutoZone to use their scanner tool and this is what I found:

After clearing the codes it wouldn't start, again. So now it's stuck in the AutoZone parking lot.

- sigh -
several of those are all related to 02 sensor/ a/f / cat readings. with a modern autos (2000's+) you cant just gut the cats.. the system is designed to have them in place and doesnt like it when they are not there.

typically people use 02 "bung extension" or something to trick the system.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,310 Posts
Wait, a newer computer controlled vehicle with stock tuning will not run correctly with most of the emissions equipment disabled and sensors not reading within the spec range? LOL:) Yes, just being a jerk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts