Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really like the look of that winch mount.

I'm curious, is there any concern about air blockage to the rad and/or trans cooler? I would think at low speeds it could potentially be a concern.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I know these things have been around for a number of years and have yet to hear of that issue. I do know this: the stock rad is quite large and I crawled into the Maze when it was 105 out without issue (didn't have the winch then). I'll be doing lots of desert travel this year so if anything happens, I'll definitely post about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know these things have been around for a number of years and have yet to hear of that issue. I do know this: the stock rad is quite large and I crawled into the Maze when it was 105 out without issue (didn't have the winch then). I'll be doing lots of desert travel this year so if anything happens, I'll definitely post about it.
Cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey, one more question..

Do you know if there are constraints on what size/type winch I can use? Like, I've got a brand new Warn 8000 waiting in the wings. Will it fit?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I like the mouth bumper winch also! nice job.

but is it me, or just the angle of the truck and how the picture was taken, but your tires look to be off. like the passenger tire looks to be turned a lot more then the driver side. optical illusion?? !!!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I like the mouth bumper winch also! nice job.

but is it me, or just the angle of the truck and how the picture was taken, but your tires look to be off. like the passenger tire looks to be turned a lot more then the driver side. optical illusion?? !!!
Optical illusion. It's funny, when I posted that I was thinking "someone is going to mention it looks like I broke a tie-rod or something". Everything is kosher and she drives great now with the extra rigidity and weight!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So, I might've just bought an offroad trailer up in Oregon (my father went and snagged it for me):

Now I just gotta figure out how to get it down here! Planning on mounting two nato-cans to the front tongue, spare, and then my bike rack slips on the back. Paint it to match the X or similar. It's currently got 9-ply 275s on it. And yes, that's a RTT. Yahoo!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Optical illusion. It's funny, when I posted that I was thinking "someone is going to mention it looks like I broke a tie-rod or something". Everything is kosher and she drives great now with the extra rigidity and weight!
It's the physics of the steering. The reason an X can turn so tightly is that it doesn't have wheel-to-wheel locked steering like a big truck. The inner wheel turns slightly tighter to match the smaller circumference circle that it's rotating around, thus limiting lateral wheel slip. This adds traction while cornering, but puts even more stress on a locked diff in 4wd. Just a guess, but it's probably why the X's often end up with front diff issues.

Klain, that's a beautiful rig. Can't wait to see what you do with the trailer too!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nice trailer! If you don't mind my asking, how much $ was it?
It was $1700--he put new trailer tires on it (he had AT tires but said they tracked poorly were unnecessary) and LED lights. It needs a new paintjob, so I think I might do a matching gray with our panels with black accents. Nice thing is the tent is piratically brand new. It has a 2" hitch tube on the rear for my bike rack. Here's another shot:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So my father is getting into the trailer thing a little more than expected. He went and got matching Xterra paint and started doing some work. I bought some Jerry cans and mounts and had them Amazon Primed to him and here's the most recent update:

Now we're waiting on a set of 33" off road tires to put on it.

Also, I mounted an ARB 1250 awning to the truck over the weekend and will get a pick of that setup sometime soon!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts