Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: Figured it was time. I was planning a slow build while I’m planning all of the money I’m about to spend (waiting for warranty to run out) but the mod bug bit me. This is my second 4x4, but first build. I previously had a 1996 Ford Bronco that was going to be my project but had to scrap her. I previously owned a 2013 Rally Blue WRX 5-door. Overall, looking at building a possible overland/camping/bugout vehicle. Planning on keeping this baby until it refuses to move anymore.

Currently work in Aviation in a Flight Operations Center.

Username: Kilo Sierra
Xterra Name: Zombie Hunter

Make: Nissan
Year: 2014
Model: Xterra
Trim: S (Automatic)
Color: Brilliant Silver

MODS:

Armor:
Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Bumper (with Fog Light Brackets)
P&P Engineering Level III Sliders
Nisstec Shock Skids (Black)
Shrockworks Diff Cover (Silver)
Shrockworks Steel Engine Skid (from 08XOR) painted black
Hefty Fabworks Steel Transmission, Transfer Case, & Gas Tank Skids (from 08XOR) painted black
Habitat Offroad Rear Recovery Points

Exterior:
Bedlined Front Grille (Black)
Bedlined Emblems Front and Rear (OD Green)
Viggs Design Hood Blackout
OEM Fog Lights (w/ Stalk)
20 Inch Auxbeam Dual Rox LED Light (OD Green bedlined covers)
Garvin Wilderness Roof Rack
Raingler DepHep Roof Net (OD Green)
Gobi Ladder (passenger side)
Hood Strut Lift Kit (Navaro)
Rear Hatch Strut Kit (McMaster 175lb.)
RallySport SUV MudFlaps (Rear Only)
Front Seat Headrest Grab Handles (Red)
Hatch CB mount and 4" Firestick (from 08XOR)
Smittybilt 9.5k XRC Winch (Solenoid box relocated over engine fuse box)
Removed OEM Mudguards

Interior:
HF Cargo Rack Mod
Paracorded All handles (OD Green)
Raingler Mini Cargo Net (OD Green)
DepHep Rear MOLLE Panel
Maglight Mounted (Driver Side on Shifter)
D4 Graphics Door Handle Blackout Kit
Scangauge ii (w/ BlendMount) on rearview mirror.
Cobra 75 wx st CB Radio (from 08XOR)

Wheel/Tires:
265/70/R16 Toyo Open Country Tires [285/75/R16 when they wear out]
Stock S 16” Wheels

Engine/Exhaust/Drivetrain:
Volant Closed Airbox
XTP Intake Manifold Spacer (Green)

Suspension:
PRG Xterra ACP Plus Lift Kit
Radflo Extended Front Coilovers and Rear Shocks (600lb.)
SPC UCA
Dual Leaf AAL
PRG U-Bolt Flip Kit
PRG 3 degree Shim Kit
Rear Brakeline Bracket Mod [working on]
Rear Breather Mod

Photos:
As it is now:

Comments:
Many more mods to follow!
:wav:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn that mod bug is catching on quicker then this year flu bug. Enjoy the build! :headbang:
Yeah I ordered the PRG Lift Kit and the flood doors opened. Now I'm just checking boxes off the plans I had made over the past couple years.

It's not helping that the new girlfriend is just as excited about the X as I am. I was showing her some of the build threads the other day and she saw a MaXTERRA rear bumper and was like "Oh yeah you need one of those!"

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Yeah I ordered the PRG Lift Kit and the flood doors opened. Now I'm just checking boxes off the plans I had made over the past couple years.

It's not helping that the new girlfriend is just as excited about the X as I am. I was showing her some of the build threads the other day and she saw a MaXTERRA rear bumper and was like "Oh yeah you need one of those!"
Here is the picture I have in my head.

Kilo to gf - "Hey gf look at Kuma's X. See how awesome it looks?"

gf to Kilo - "Oh yeah! You need some 35's, and 4.56 gears, and air lockers, and Maxterra roof rack, and air compressor, and.... and..... and..... and........ Don't worry I will pay for it all because I'm the best gf you ever had!":rockin:>:):smilebox::love10::sign5:

And if it happens to actually go down like that. Maybe, Maxterra can create a clone machine for your gf.

This is just a joke by the way. It's just how my funny brain works lol!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the picture I have in my head.

Kilo to gf - "Hey gf look at Kuma's X. See how assume it looks?"

gf to Kilo - "Oh yeah! You need some 35's, and 4.56 gears, and air lockers, and Maxterra roof rack, and air compressor, and.... and..... and..... and........ Don't worry I will pay for it all because I'm the best gf you ever had!":rockin:>:):smilebox::love10::sign5:

And if it happens to actually go down like that. Maybe, Maxterra can create a clone machine for your gf.

This is just a joke by the way. It's just how my funny brain works lol!
I wish! Best I can get is "Babe, you do want you want with your money if it makes you happy." I'm still waiting for the trap. :violent1:

If she ever does offer to buy stuff rest assured that I'll distribute samples of her hair and fingernails to anyone who is interested.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shrockworks Diff Cover Installed:

That's not gear oil leaking, just residue from the PB Blaster I had to use to ensure I could get the fill plug to move, just in case things started to leak and I had to pull the whole cover.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Engine light came on last night and it threw a P0171 (System too lean Bank 1). Spent the morning researching what the best course of action and after it getting REALLY hot out decided to narrow it down by having Nissan diagnose it.

Tech couldn't find anything wrong except he noted the diagnostics were coming back a little strange and out of parameters but all sensors checked out fine. He did note the Intake Manifold Spacer said if it had just been installed (which it hadn't) it may have caused it. Said he'd never seen one on a Nissan before.

Tech did a re-learn on the computer and we'll see if it comes back. Before the engine code the engine was running really good at lower RPM's and was giving some good MPGs.

Update: Engine Light came back on. Dealership changed out the Air Ratio Sensor and the 4x4 Switch.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I posted this in another thread but I figure I'd copy it here:
c200 Diff Breather Mod Questions

Ok so I finally did the breather mod using #38323-C601A. I'll give you the lowdown and you can decide:

14mm deep socket out, 12mm deep socket in.

Upon inspection everything looked and felt right to me. First few turns I could hand tighten and then it started to bind up. So I backed it out and tried to reinstall the old one for comparison. Pretty much same thing (although a turn or two more). Decided to just go for it and see what happens. Most of the way in it felt fine, just needing to apply some pressure but didn't feel like I was fighting it. Last quarter or so I did have to crank down rather hard. May have just been fighting corrosion.

Installed. Everything else went smooth.

I did zoom in the comparison picture up a bit and does appear that the new one is slightly wider and perhaps tapers a little less. I'll throw it our there and say that might be the reason it may have been a little tighter to get in there then I was first thinking it would. Or I'm just overthinking it.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple pictures from our Maine trip in August.

Her family place on the beach:

Xterra Photos:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Installed Scangauge ii on a Blendmount over the rearview mirror.

Had to pull the A-pillar panel to run the cord up and across the headliner. The cable that came with the Scangauge was too small, and the cable extension that came with the Blendmount was way too long. I ran the Scangauge cable as far as it would go, and then stuffed the rest of the cable up into the headliner. Will plan to find a 2-3 foot Cat5e cable to clean it up, but for now it works fine.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fabricated and initially installed my HF Cargo Rack! Sorry about the mess but it was raining heavily when I test fitted it.

Inspiration is from How-to: HF Cargo Rack : Linus Edition.

A few notes:
I removed the 2" receiver section and bolted both halves using M10 1" bolts with washers and Nylon Nuts (as in Project: Budget Rear Cargo Rack to give me some clearance with my Hefty MOLLE panel on the Driver's side. It still did interfere enough that I will have to reorganize my pouches. You may want to slide your mounting points for the legs slightly off-center to get more space.

I used 3/4" square tubing from Home Depot for the legs, 19mm End caps are being shipped. I cut all four at 25 inches. I used 1/4" x 2" Bolts and drilled with a 5/16" bit to give me some wiggle room incase my measurements were off. I may replace them with M8 bolts later (they fit the holes). I made a template out of cardboard to align drill points for the legs, which I also used to line up the drill points for the legs.

I used 2 inch L-brackets which fit 1/4" bolts without having to drill. Due to the width of these (which are about 3/4"), I put 1/4" x 1 1/4" washers between the L-bracket and the 1/4" Spring Nuts that I used in the Utilitrack. When installing, you'll have to put the spring nuts into the track first as their flat width is just over the width of the track. Not a big deal but I tried to have it all assembled when I popped it in and it wouldn't work.

Initial Impressions:
L-brackets are tightened up using some 1/4" x 2" machine bolts (I had already) which will be replaced with proper length bolts, washers and nylon nuts once I fiddle with it and get some paint on the legs to get it tightened up more. It is currently solid but I'm sure I'll get some noise without having the endcaps currently installed. At this height, It does interfere slightly with my rear sight but not enough to be a problem. Currently I love it!

If anyone wants to know I added a Sunvisor Velcro MOLLE Panel from One Tigris to throw some patches on. I'll be looking at adding some MOLLE Pouches on the rack in the future and I'll update some photos later. Already looking to modify more! :nerd:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Things moved fast the last couple of months:thumbleft::

Steel Skids Installed. Shrockworks Engine skid, Hefty Transmission, T-case, and Fuel Tank. Fuel tank was a PITA as I did that myself, using scrap 2x4's to lift it in place. A lot of the bolts had to be worked in and out (with WD40) a few cranks at a time to get them to work all of the way into the frame. I ordered a full hardware kit from Hefty for I think $55.

CB and 285 BFG KO2s Installed. Location for the CB antenna is not ideal and the 4' Firestik a little long, but waiting on the MaxTerra Bumper. Not sure if I trust the Meter, but it tested at 1.2-1.3 on channels 1 and 40, 1.0 on 20. We'll see how it works out.

Speaking of waiting for the rear bumper, installed Habitat Offroad Rear Recovery Points. I had to do it because I have a NH Overland Trip I'm about to leave on. Shout out to Somersworth Nissan who worked the bumper bolts out for me free of charge!:salute:

Winch (Smittybilt 9.5 XRC) and farm jack installed.

Added a velco pouch to the center console to hold a lighter and lens cleaning cloth so it wouldn't bounce around.

Also re-fitted the rear cargo rack with some new hardware although I haven't painted it for now. I'll get a picture of that up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Touched up the sliders and skids. Re-painted the grille. I figured I'd run down to the dealership and pick some clips that hold the grille in place because I was missing one and a couple were breaking. Of course, the clips only come with the grille. :facepalm:

So they asked me to remove one and bring it in and they'd look through their clips and see what might match up. Came up with part number 01553-05933 ($1.77/piece). They have a more rounded tip but they secured it much tighter than reusing the clips over and over again. I realize I could have gone down to the local auto parts store and compare but this was so much easier when you're already there.:hello2:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Touched up the sliders and skids. Re-painted the grille. I figured I'd run down to the dealership and pick some clips that hold the grille in place because I was missing one and a couple were breaking. Of course, the clips only come with the grille. :facepalm:

So they asked me to remove one and bring it in and they'd look through their clips and see what might match up. Came up with part number 01553-05933 ($1.77/piece). They have a more rounded tip but they secured it much tighter than reusing the clips over and over again. I realize I could have gone down to the local auto parts store and compare but this was so much easier when you're already there.:hello2:
Pretty much all of the auto parts stores carry all of the trim mounting clips & bolts now for cheap. I keep a spare box of them in the glove box because every time I do a new interior mod one of those ends up snapping off.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty much all of the auto parts stores carry all of the trim mounting clips & bolts now for cheap. I keep a spare box of them in the glove box because every time I do a new interior mod one of those ends up snapping off.
Oh I agree. I usually also keep replaced hardware such as those clips I replaced as a backup in case I need them. I also tend to buy a few extra so that I'm not searching for specific items.

The next time I hit the auto parts store I'll stock up on a few different types. The only thing I've had good luck with was that the dealership came back and said "we think these will be your best bet, why don't you try installing one of these and let us know" to which I would have been hard-pressed to be allowed to do at my local auto parts store (at least in my experience).

Is there any pieces you recommend getting from your experience? I haven't really needed to replace any interior clips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts