Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
on line
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does this hold up against the off roading elements. such as branches, mud, etc.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Honestly, the best place to put it is on the inside of your gas tank door. It's away from all the elements falling from the sky and on side of the trails.

·
on line
384 Posts
I have mine mounted on the passenger side by the gearbox. It is actually facing upward, under the 'overhang' so you can barely see it but its easy to get to. It has yet to be bothered by anything while off-roading.

·
on line
264 Posts
is it worth it and how easy is the install? i dont mean to steal the thread if i am

·
on line
282 Posts
There are no wires. It's basically just like your keyfob, but with a combination interface. So it's totally wireless, just like your keyfob, and you can put it anywhere - you can keep it in your pocket if you want to.

Personally, I love the keypad. I use it more than my keyfob, even - I don't have to dig my keyfob out of my pocket. Seriously thinking of adding a second one on the rear hatch, just so I don't have to walk around to the driver side door where mine is mounted!

Note that because it works like a keyfob, it counts against the 5 keyfob limit, and you must have keyless entry to get this to work.

It's fully self-contained, with an internal non-replaceable battery. I don't think there's any worry about it shorting out.

·
on line
245 Posts
mcampana said:
Mines been on a year, wheeling, mud, snow, rain , water, trees, booze. Works and holds up great. Singel best mod i ever bought.
Good to know that it holds up against the single most harmful element known to man... booze!

·
on line
264 Posts
where can you get them? im sure this is talked about else where so it seems repetative

·
on line
1,504 Posts
i just had my dealorship order mine for me...and i've hade mine for about a year now and it's actually mounted right above the door handle just like the fords that have them factory, and the elements haven't bothered it yet...I'm with Mark on this one...it's probably the handiest mod i have done...it's well worth it!

·
on line
282 Posts
xterrock said:
Only problem with this not being concealed is if someone who wanted it more than you came along and popped it off.
No one can use it unless they know the combination. The only reason anyone would want it who didn't know the combination is vandalism, and it's a lot easier to key the paint instead if that's what they want to do.

Theft of the keyless entry pad shouldn't be a problem.

·
on line
9 Posts
I mounted my keyless pad to the side of the overhead rack (just below the angled slots) Ive had several people think it was a lock for the storage rack above. Im very happy they think that. RJ :compress:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts