Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
500 Posts
I've been dreaming about this unit, because of the Garmin GPS. The price has dropped $200 in the last six months.

Patrick

·
on line
4,593 Posts
IIRC the Pioneer AVIC-D3 {and the iPod adaptor} can be had for around that same price.

Although that Kenwood does have some nice features for sure, the reviews about its interface are less than impressive.

I like that fact that we are getting more and more alternatives for this type of unit {Pioneer, Eclipse, Panasonic} and now Kenwood in the mix.

This can only drive up features and perhaps drive down the prices.

Why not get one and let us know what you think? :D

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This guy has posted some vids of the DNX7100 in action... the interface does look pretty clunky.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8516&highlight=dnx7100

Yeah, on the AVIC-D3... I really like the fact that there's an actual knob for volume and a slot for the disc, no hinky mechanism to rotate the LCD in order to load a disc. However, the fact that nav data is read off a disc, tying up the slot is a deal breaker for me. All the others, even the super duper AVIC, seem have mixed reviews when it comes to how well the nav works. The fact that the Kenwood uses Garmin is big plus, in my book.

·
on line
185 Posts
The single DVD slot is not a problem if you have an iPod. My Navi disc stays in the slot, and my music comes from the 80gig iPod. The iPod interface works perfectly.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hunter... How's the nav work for you? Did you do the install?

·
on line
185 Posts
I've had the system for 3 months and the Nav works nicely. I don't get use the Nav very often because most of my destinations are local and I am familiar with the route. Why some people put the Nav on going to and from work is beyond me?!

However, I do some buying and selling on Craigslist and I have to meet customers. The Nav comes in really handy and it has not failed me yet. One time, I was on the fwy and needed to find a Fedex Kinko. I used the Point of Interest function search and the nav guided me to the nearest one. So, the nav works for me.

I've read some of the complaints about the D3 on AVIC411.com. I think some people have unrealistic expectation. For example, one of the complaints is when they deviate from a set route, the D3 tries to get them back to the original route instead of ploting a new route. Well, the D3 is a $800 system. It is not a million $$ super computer with artificial intelligence. When you deviate, it thinks you're lost and tries to get you back on the route that it thinks is the right one base on your preference. So, it works. If you know where you're going, why the hell would you turn on the nav?

There are some genuine problems. Some people have reported that the D3 would tell them to turn right when they know it should've been a left. But, so far, mine is working perfectly.

·
on line
28 Posts
I have a dnx7100. so far i am really loving it. the garmin is easy to use, the interface of the kenwood isn't really that bad once you are used to it. it does take a lil to get used to, but after using it for about a week, you will be an expert. i love the fact that i can play a movie for a long trip and don't have to switch out the disc for navi. the unit also play divx files (not sure if the avic can do that?), i can put about 6 movies on one dvd disc. this way, i won't have to carry so many dvd disc. i done my research before getting the dnx7100 and most people like the garmin navi a lot better than the avic. i am not sure how well is the navi on the avic, but all i can say is that you can never go wrong w/ garmin navi.

edit: forgot to mention that the ipod controll on this way is awesome, not only does it control the ipod functions, it also show album art and ipod video.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really on the fence between these two units... with the ipod control for the D3, they're really not that far away in price.

Can anyone tell me on the D3...
Is there a way to pull up simple situational data without loading the DVD? For instance, can you pull up a compass or vechicle speed while your listening to music or can you only access that type of data with the map DVD loaded?

For me, it goes like this:

D3 Pros:
-Volume Knob
-Disc slot
-Easier, more polished looking interface

DNX Pros:
-Soid state map data
-Slightly Better Ipod functionality (Included)
-Garmin Nav

My goal is something that could pass for stock, tells me which direction I'm facing, and can play the ipod through. All the double din options that aren't Nav's could never pass for stock, imo. I guess I don't care about the nav, so much.

·
on line
28 Posts
actually, you have to buy a seperate cable for ipod control on the dnx7100, it costs around 25 dollars. one other advantage is the screen size. the dnx is 7 in and the d3 is 6, that's an inch in difference. i heard some stories about the d3 navi giving routes that make no sense. those are what i researched, you prob will get better opinion on people that have the d3. i can be a lil bias, haha. for me the functions of the navi is very important, more important than the others. the d3 might look prettier and have a volume knob, but the dnx7100 will def have a better navi with garmin. the dnx7100 actually has dedicated volume control also. there are 2 bottons on the bottom of the unit. one for up and one for down. it's not as good as a volume knob, but i think it's a good trade for a bigger screen.

·
on line
185 Posts
I don't have the camera with me. But, I can take some screen shots if you let me know what you want to see. Yes, the dynmanic display will tell you time, speed, and direction. I can take a shot of that later.

The iPod cable is around $30 from any major retailer. But, you can probably get it a lot cheaper from eBay.

·
on line
28 Posts
not to compete w/ the d3, but the dnx also have a function to tell the time, speed and direction all on one screen. it's a trip computer. it will also tell you how long you been driving, how long have you stoped, distance, your avg speed, and max speed.

·
on line
185 Posts
nichthupen said:
My goal is something that could pass for stock, tells me which direction I'm facing, and can play the ipod through. All the double din options that aren't Nav's could never pass for stock, imo. I guess I don't care about the nav, so much.
Sounds like you prefer form over function. The Nav on the D3 vs. Kenwood (Garmin) is debatable. But, if you don't really care about the nav, then the decision is pretty clear. I am not trying to sell you the D3 nor do I work for Pioneer. Haha..... I am speaking for the D3 because I own one.

If you want the stock look, then this feature of the D3 is a must have. You can match the color on the display to the color display on the X. And I am not talking about just a preset of Amber. You can actually dial in the different shades of amber. I chose red to match the needles. But, you can dial in whatever color you want.

·
on line
28 Posts
yeah, that's def one function that i wish the dnx has. the color matching would be really nice. like i said the d3 will def look prettier than the dnx.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want the stock look, then this feature of the D3 is a must have. You can match the color on the display to the color display on the X. And I am not talking about just a preset of Amber. You can actually dial in the different shades of amber. I chose red to match the needles. But, you can dial in whatever color you want.

You just sold me right there! :cheers: Form over function, I admit. I never get lost anyway ;)

They're both great units with unique pros and cons. I think the D3 is definitely my huckleberry.

Did you install a camera? Crutchfield is throwing one in that mounts over on the license plate. Did you have trouble hooking up to the non-audio/power connections e.g. VSS, Reverse, etc?

·
on line
185 Posts
No, I don't have the rearview camera. I have the iPod cable, bluetooth phone interface. I am still debating on the satellite radio.

As for non-audio, I have the bypass which allows the passengers to watch the DVD and change route on the Nav while the X is in motion.

I don't think we have the VSS on the X. But, then again, I've only had the X for 3 months. The X experts will have to confirm that.

·
on line
82 Posts
IIRC the D3 allows you to save a route allowing you to nav without the disc. From www.crutchfield.com "Memory Navi Mode: When the DVD Map Disc is inserted, you can store the map data into the internal memory of the navigation system. If the map disc is removed, navigation is performed by using data in the memory. In the Memory Navi mode, you can play a music CD or DVD Video on the navigation system while navigating at the same time. Some functions are restricted in the Memory Navi mode, and you may need to reinsert the DVD Map Disc to use those functions."

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i have the ddx 6019 w/ nav. it is an older model but still great. They are right about the software though. it takes a while to get used the the program. after about a week, you will have no problems at all.

the only thing i don't like is the fact that you can't color match it.

·
on line
142 Posts
I have the D3 and if you stray far enough off course, the nav will choose the most direct route once you get close enough to a better course.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts